Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

ISU Women’s Club slates Schubert Scholarship lunch April 14

April 6, 2007
admin

The Idaho State University Women’s Club will hold its annual Jayne Schubert Scholarship Luncheon in the Pond Student Union Building Little Wood River Room at noon on Saturday, April 14.

The theme this year is “It’s a Real Zoo Out There.” The program will include a special presentation by Scott Ransom, director of the Pocatello Zoo. This year’s scholarship recipients will also be introduced. Bridge will follow the luncheon for those who are interested.

The luncheon is open to the public, both men and women. The cost is $10 and reservations should be made to the following: Linda Hill at 282-5617 or hilllind@isu.edu, Joan McCune at 233-8467 or mccujoan@isu.edu, or Lois Shelton at 233-3191.

    Raffle tickets are $2 and are available from any member of the ISU Women’s Club.  Raffle items will include a beautiful quilt hand made by members of the ISU Women’s Club, pottery pieces by Phil Jenkins, a Redkin 2-bottle “Curl Set” from A Cut Above, veggie and fruit tray from Chartwells, and $25 gift certificates to Double Shot, just to name a few of the prizes. Winners need not be present.

All proceeds from the luncheon and the accompanying raffle go to the ISU Women’s Club scholarship program for ISU students, which annually provides three scholarships to ISU students: a junior woman, a student in the College of Technology, and the child of an ISU employee.  

The Club first supported scholarships in the 1940s and began sponsoring the luncheon in 1950. The scholarships are awarded in memory of Jayne Schubert, who came to Pocatello in 1947 when her husband, Mel, became a member of the speech and drama faculty of Idaho State College.

The ISU Women’s Club has the distinction of being the oldest campus organization. The club has, as has the University, undergone name changes since its inception in 1924. At that time, the wife of the president of Idaho Technical Institute (now ISU), Mrs. Charles R. Frazier (Alice), felt that there was a need for the wives of faculty men to become better acquainted and function as a group to assist the administration with social events. The original name adopted by the group was the Faculty Wives’ Club and was later changed to the ISU Women’s Club in the late 1980’s.

For more information about the ISU Women’s Club or the Scholarship Luncheon, contact Linda Hill at (208) 282-5617.


Categories:

University News