End of Semester Tips When Working with Student Athletes
May 4, 2023
Thank you for all of your hard work with our student athletes this semester. I wanted to reach out since we're in finals week to remind you that I can provide support if you are having any academic issues with student athletes in your courses. I also have a few informational items below that can help if you have conversations with student athletes as we get to the final grades.
- Student-athletes should not get any special privileges, but they should receive the same opportunities other enrolled students receive.
- Student athletes should never ask for grade changes or special consideration because they are an athlete. Of course, talking about and receiving grade changes is sometimes necessary, but a grade change can only occur if that same opportunity is available to other class members.
- There are several athletic academic advisors who work with our athletes and can also be a great resource. These advisors include:
- Brad Puckett (email@example.com) Associate Director of Student-Athlete Academic Services Women's Basketball 208-282-4408
- Brianne Beard (firstname.lastname@example.org) Men's Football 208-282-4179
- Niki Cook (email@example.com) Men's Basketball, Track and Field/XC, and Golf 208-282-2263 Liz Geyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) Soccer, Volleyball, Softball, M/W Tennis 208-282-3312.
Please feel free to contact them if needed.
I know all of you do an excellent job of emphasizing academics with our athletes and I'm very thankful. For additional information, please visit: www.isu.edu/far.
I hope you have a great end to the semester. Please let me know if I can support you in any way.
Karen Hartman Faculty Athletic Representative Professor, Dept. of Communication, Media & Persuasion
email@example.com (208) 282-3233