ISU Diversity Resource Center to Commemorate Black History Month at ISU
February 5, 2020
POCATELLO – The Diversity Resource Center at Idaho State University will commemorate Black History Month at Idaho State University with a series of events and movies Feb. 24-28.
All events are free to students, faculty, staff and the community.
This year’s Black History Month celebration features a series of events designed to promote inclusiveness, understanding, and dialogue.
“We invite Idaho State University’s campus community to join us in celebrating the many ways that Black history and culture has enriched our way of life,” said Alma Jam, program manager for the ISU Diversity Resource Center. “Recognizing the historical contributions of African Americans allows us to create a more inclusive community today.”
Events scheduled include:
- Monday, Feb. 24 – "Coming to America," Panel discussion at 4:30 p.m. in the Pond Student Union Little River Room: A historical review of migration from the transatlantic slave trade to pan-African migration today.
- Tuesday, Feb. 25 – “Raising Your Black Son in America," Panel discussion at 4:30 p.m. Pond Student Union Little River Room: Exploring the identity of black males in the education, workforce and criminal systems in America.
- Wednesday, Feb. 26 – Black History Symposium: "Missing Chapters”, Four 30-45 minute video sessions from 1 to 5 p.m. in the Pond Student Union Bengal Theatre and Lobby, on the following topics:
– “Human Zoos: America's Forgotten History of Scientific Racism”
– “Wilmington 1898: The Overthrow of a Democratically Elected Government”
– “The Massacre of Tulsa's ‘Black Wall Street"
– “Where Does The Rise of Identity Politics Leave People of Mixed Race?”
- Thursday, Feb. 27 – Women’s Healing Circle, 5 p.m., Diversity Resource Center, Room 129, Rendezvous Complex: Come connect, share, support and honor one another in the individual and collective conscience.
- Friday, Feb. 28 - Bengal “Black Out," All-day campus-wide event inviting students, faculty and staff to wear all-black clothing in honor of Black History Month.
• The ISU Bengal Theater will also show the following movies for the month of February. The movies are free for ISU students with a Bengal ID, $2 for ISU faculty and staff, $3 for guests and $2 for children 12 and under.
A listing of movie titles, dates and times follows.
– “Harriet” – PG-13, shows at 7 p.m. Feb. 24, 25 and 26.
– “Just Mercy” – PG-13, shows at 7 p.m. Feb. 27, 7 and 9:45 p.m. Feb. 28 and 4:30 and 7 p.m. Feb. 29.