We are excited to announce Idaho State's 2020 Winter Commencement Ceremony will be held on Saturday, Nov. 21, in Holt Arena. All May 2020, August 2020, and December 2020 graduates are invited to join us in-person at this celebration. The date was moved earlier to meet previous changes to the academic calendar.
This commencement will not look like our traditional commencement. Numerous safety measures will be in place to mitigate risk for all attendees. At this time, we are not allowing spectators or family to attend in-person. Traditional activities, such as handshakes, hoodings, and other ceremony staples that don't allow for social distancing will not occur. Please see some of our safety protocols below. In the event that adjustments or a cancellation of the in-person event is needed, a final decision about the winter commencement ceremony will be communicated to all involved parties as soon as possible.
Commencement Health Precautions:
- Students will not line up and process in together. Instead, they will go directly to their assigned seats upon check-in.
- Volunteers and floor-markings will help ensure distancing during check-in.
- One representative per college will process in with college banners.
- Check-in times will be assigned and staggered to avoid crowds.
- Graduates’ chairs will be spaced at least 6 feet apart on Holt turf.
- Platform party will be down-sized to allow for proper spacing on the stage. They will process in, with appropriate distancing.
- Faculty will be seated at least 6 feet apart from one another.
- At this time, due to safety measures related to COVID-19, we will not be allowing audience members into Holt Arena, but instead, encourage family and friends to share in the excitement via a live stream on ISU’s Youtube Channel.
- Everyone will wear face coverings at all times, with the exception that the person speaking at the podium may remove their mask during remarks.
- Name readers will not be required to wear masks when speaking, but additional precautions will be taken including the use of plexi-glass panels.
- Gloves will be worn by anyone who will have contact with students’ name cards or any other shared materials.
- Stage-crossing will be no-contact (no handshakes, hoodings, etc.)
- Performances of the National Anthem and Alma Mater will be pre-recorded and shown on video screens.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the venue.
- Graduates will be encouraged to exit the venue promptly after the ceremony ends.
- Depending on the COVID-19 risk level in Bannock County and the number of RSVPs we receive, it may be necessary to divide the celebration into smaller ceremonies.
- Event organizers will remain in close contact with Idaho State’s health committee and Southeast Idaho Public Health regarding event plans.
- Due to the ever-changing atmosphere of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are also making plans for virtual events, should they become necessary.