POCATELLO – The fifth annual Hispanic Healthcare and Technology Careers Conference will be held on March 3 in the Idaho State University Pond Student Union.
The purpose of this conference, according to organizers, is to allow young students to explore career options in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields. Participants will have the opportunity to connect with professionals and mentors in their field of interest.
Hispanics are underrepresented in undergraduate and graduate STEM program and are not sufficiently exposed to STEM subjects at the K-12 levels. This conference seeks to address that issue. There is a significant correlation between low exposure to the STEM fields, lack of role models and low enrollment numbers. Therefore, all the presenters at the conference will be Latino and will share their unique struggles and accomplishments in achieving their positions.
This conference was organized and funded by multiple organizations and community members who believe in the power education has among our youth.
The schedule is as follows:
- 8-9 a.m. – Registration in the Wood River Room
- 9-9:25 a.m. – National Anthem and Welcoming in the Ballroom
- 9:30-10:10 a.m. – Session One Speakers: Dr. Jacob DelaRosa, Cardiothoracic Surgeon - located in the Ballroom; Juan Alvarez, COO of Operations INL (Mathematics and Secondary Education) - located in the Salmon River Room; Dr. Manuel Sierra, Neuro Psychiatrist - located in the Bengal Theatre;Walter R. Gonzalez, Bio Chemistry, Chemometric, and Bioinformatics - located in the Bengal Café
- 10:20-11:10 a.m. – Session 2 Speakers:Dr. Luis Fernandez, Family Medicine Doctor - located in the Ballroom; Ruben Torres, Chemical Process Engineer - located in the Salmon River Room; Healthcare Workers, CC Idaho - located in the Bengal Theatre; Luis A. Quinones, Nuclear Engineer - located in the Bengal Café
- 11:10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Lunch in the Ballroom
- 12:30 – 1:10 p.m. – Session 3 Speakers: Laura Alvarez, Counselor - located in the Ballroom, Garold Grisham, Master of Science, Analytical Chemistry - located in the Salmon River Room, Deanna Nunez, Registered Nurse - located in the Bengal Theatre; Lorenzo Vega Montoto, Bio Chemistry, Chemometric, and Bioinformatics - located in the Bengal Café
- 1:15-1:30 p.m. – Juven Ramirez from Idaho Central Credit Union - located in the Ballroom
- 1:30-1:40 p.m. – Break
- 1:40-2:25 – Cristian Arcega, Key Note Speaker - located in the Ballroom
- 2:25-2:40 p.m. – Scholarships - located Ballroom
- 2:40-3 p.m. – Raffle - located in the Ballroom
- 3-3:15 p.m. – Closing by Maya Correa and Julie Santiago - located in the Ballroom
For more questions on this event, contact Sonia Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org.