‘Honoring the Legacy’ Martin Luther King Jr. events planned Jan. 15-19 at Idaho State University and Pocatello
January 8, 2015
A series of events “Honoring the Legacy” of Martin Luther King Jr. will be held Jan. 15-19 at Idaho State University and in Pocatello, culminating in a march on the ISU campus on Jan. 19.
The ISU Diversity Resource Center in conjunction with the local and collegiate chapters of the NAACP and Interfaith Council will be sponsoring these events.
Events scheduled are:
• Jan. 15 – From 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. there will be a recording of King’s last speech, “I’ve Been to the Mountain Top,” played in the ISU Diversity Resource Center, Room 129 of the Rendezvous Complex. Refreshments will be served.
• Jan. 15 – At 6 p.m. at City Hall, Pocatello Mayor Brian Blad and Chubbuck Mayor Kevin England will issue a proclamation “Martin Luther King Jr. Week, Jan. 15-19” to the local chapter of the NAACP.
• Jan. 15 – At 7 p.m. there will be a reading and discussion of King’s “Letter from Birmingham” at the Pocatello Senior Citizen Center, 427 Sixth Street. Refreshments will be served.
• Jan. 16 – From noon to 1:30 p.m. President Lyndon Johnson’s 1965 civil rights speech to Congress will be read in the Diversity Resource Center.
• Jan. 17 – At 11 a.m. the NAACP luncheon will be held at the Pocatello Clarion Inn. Tickets are $35 for adults and $20 for children 17 and under. Contact Ram Eddings for ticket information (see below).
• Jan. 18 – At 5 p.m. a Martin Luther King service, with presentation of the Joy Morrison Award, will be held at the Pocatello United Methodist Church, 200 North 15th Avenue.
• Jan. 19 – At 1 p.m. a march honoring Martin Luther King will start at the ISU Holt Arena south side parking lot and will finish at the ISU Stephens Performing Arts Center. Transportation from Holt Arena will be provided. At 2 p.m., there will be a program in the Stephens Center’s Marshall Rotunda. Refreshments will be served.
For more information, contact Ram Eddings at 208-282-3142 or firstname.lastname@example.org.