Celebrate Idaho State University, a CommUniversity event, set March 17
March 10, 2015
The fifth annual Celebrate Idaho State, a CommUniversity event, will feature more than 100 groups providing a variety of free food, entertainment, art, culture, information, and scientific displays and demonstrations Tuesday, March 17, from 4 to 7 p.m. in the ISU Pond Student Union.
“Celebrate Idaho State is a great opportunity for us to showcase ISU’s excellent programs and all that the University has to offer the community,” said Allyson Johnson, Celebrate Idaho State co-chair. “We are looking forward to sharing our pride for this great institution.”
CommUniversity is a joint effort by volunteers from local communities and Idaho State University to connect, support and foster a strong spirit of mutual support. Celebrate Idaho State University is an event that primarily showcases what ISU offers and does. Welcome Back Orange and Black is a fall event encouraging students and the community to enjoy Pocatello’s business offerings. This year’s committee consisted of 30 people from the University and community.
ISU President Arthur C. Vailas, Pocatello Mayor Brian Blad and the Chubbuck Mayor Kevin England will welcome participants at 5 p.m.
Events planned are too many and too varied to list here, but highlights include:
• Scientific and educational exhibits, geared towards children and their families;
• The Division of Health Sciences will be promoting health education, offering free hearing screenings and food samplings from the SCORE (Smart Cooking on the Run Every Day) program portable kitchen;
• Free food, including hotdogs provided by Fred Meyer, cookies, lemonade and a potato bar provided by Driscoll Farms;
• 1,000 T-shirts will be given away on a first-come basis provided by the ISU Credit Union;
• Performances by students from ISU School of Performing Arts;
• Tours of Idaho Museum of Natural History exhibits;
• Announcement of three Celebrate Idaho State $1,000 scholarship winners;
• An appearance by Benny the Bengal;
• Free bowling in the Pond Student Union Games Center;
• Parking for the event is free.
The entertainment schedule is as follows and will take place on stage in the Pond Student Union:
• 4:15 p.m. – Entertainment: Derek Schaible Quartet
• 5 p.m. – Speakers: President Vailas, Mayors Blad and England
• 5:10 p.m. – Entertainment: ISU Jazz Band
• 6 p.m. – Entertainment: ISU Sax Quartet
Event sponsors include the ISU President’s Office, the Idaho State Journal, KPVI Channel 6, ISU Chartwells, ISU Credit Union, Fred Meyer, Driscoll Farms, East Idaho Radio Stations KORR104 and KZBQ, and the Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce.
For more information on Celebrate Idaho State, contact Allyson Johnson, 282-4798, Val Davids, 282-3451, or the ISU Office of Marketing and Communications, 282-3620.