Idaho State University business students help local child Make-a-Wish
November 8, 2012
The students in Alex Bolinger’s management class at the Idaho State University College of Business (COB) are participating in a local "Make-a-Wish Challenge." Students are learning the strategic planning process as they work in groups to plan and execute a series of fundraisers for the local Make-a-Wish Foundation. This project supports the COB's emphasis on community giving as an important part of creating and sustaining a successful business.
The class is raising money for a three-year-old girl in our area who lives with her mother and younger sister. This little girl has been diagnosed with a serious childhood illness that often causes bone swelling and can attack vital organs of the body. Despite these challenges, she is full of energy; she loves cheerleading and the color pink. Her ultimate wish is to meet the Disney Princesses in person.
Proceeds from this project will help send this little girl and her immediate family to Disney World for Christmas. With the help of Julie Thomas at the Make-a-Wish Foundation of Southeast Idaho, the class will present proceeds from the project to the family in early December.
The students have coordinated several fundraisers with area businesses in Pocatello and Idaho Falls during the next three weeks. Local merchants have agreed to donate a portion of the proceeds from their sales on specific days to this Make-a-Wish Challenge.
The events include the following:
• Thursday, Nov. 8 – 4 to 9 p.m., Golden Corral in Pocatello.
• Thursday, Nov. 8 – 5 to 8 p.m. – Outer Limits in Pocatello.
• Thursday, Nov. 8 – 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. – Pizza Hut on 5th Street in Pocatello.
• Friday, Nov. 16 – Buffalo Wild Wings, Pocatello. Beginning at 5 p.m.
• Nov. 16-20. Barnes and Noble, Grand Teton Mall, Idaho Falls. Order online any time November 16-20 at http://www.bn.com and use Bookfair ID 10895621 to donate to the class project.
• Friday, Nov. 16 – Students will be on-site at Barnes and Noble from 1 to 6 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 16. They will be holding a raffle with great prizes.
• Wednesday, Nov. 28 – Noon to 1 p.m., Hampton Inn, Pocatello. Professor. Bollinger will be conducting a "Fundamental Negotiation Skills" workshop. The cost is $25 and all proceeds go directly to the Make-a-Wish Challenge..
Direct donations are also welcome. Checks should be made out to the "Make-a-Wish Foundation" and may be mailed to the ISU College of Business at the following address: "Make-a-Wish Challenge," c/o Alex Bolinger, ISU College of Business, MS 8020, 921 South 8th Avenue, Pocatello, ID 83209.
Special thanks to all of the businesses in our community who have agreed to participate in this event. If you have any questions or would like more information about this project, contact Alex Bolinger at email@example.com or (208) 282-6242.