Pond Student Union 50th anniversary celebration scheduled in January
January 9, 2009
The Earl R. Pond Student Union at Idaho State University will celebrate its 50th Anniversary with a variety of events scheduled in late January including a birthday bash, themed dance and gala dinner.
“The Pond Student Union is an interactive campus gathering place where a variety of services, programs and activities are offered to enrich student life,” said Bonnie Frantz, associate director of ISU Student Unions and Involvement. “We invite current and former students, faculty, staff and the public to come celebrate with us.”
• Starting Monday, Jan. 12, and running through Jan. 31: the Student Union Art Collection will be exhibited in the Pond Student Union Transition Gallery. Many of these unique pieces were loaned to departments around campus, and have been gathered for this special showing.
• Starting Monday, Jan. 26, and running through Jan. 30:
– Historic photos and information will be displayed in the Student Union departments, along with a scavenger hunt to promote student knowledge and interest in factual union events.
– Time capsule items will be on display at the Student Union Information Desk.
– ISU cosmetology and theatre/dance departments will feature retro hairstyles and costumes from each decade in the Pond Student Union Lobby.
• Thursday, Jan. 29:
– At 11:15 a.m. participants will meet in the Main Lobby of the Pond Student Union to bury a commemorative time capsule, which will be opened at the Union’s future centennial. To follow, the Birthday Bash will have free cake, root beer floats and a live band.
• Friday, Jan. 30:
– “Dance Through the Decades” dance at 9 p.m. in the Pond Student Union Ballroom. Hosted by the Union and the LDS Student Association, this dance will kick off 2009 with a bang. Dress will be from the ‘50s, ‘60s, ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s. Everyone is invited.
• Saturday, Jan. 31:
– Campus tours from 1 to 4 p.m.: Participants will visit new program areas and renovated spaces in the Pond Student Union. They also will tour the new Rendezvous Complex and the L. E. and Thelma E. Stephens Performing Arts Center.
– Reception at 5:30 p.m. in the Pond Student Union Transition Gallery: The event will feature special selections from the ISU Art Collection, a no-host bar and light hors d'oeuvres.
– At 7 p.m., gala dinner, Pond Student Union Ballroom: “Celebrating 50 Years of Gathering” will be the theme of this event, which will include a dinner, program, music and dancing. Tickets are $35 per person and must be purchased in advance. All proceeds from this event will go to student-leadership scholarships and programming. Call 282-4245 to reserve tickets.
More information, including registration details and alumni-networking opportunities for Student Unions and Involvement call (208) 282-4245 or visit the Web site http://www.isu.edu/union/anniversary.