Diabetes Health Fair set Nov. 11 at ISU
November 8, 2006
Idaho State University College of Pharmacy students, in conjunction with other ISU health-care students and area professionals, will sponsor the “Step Up and Take Charge of Your Heart” diabetes health fair from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Nov. 11.
The health fair will be at the ISU Pond Student Union Building Wood River Room on the ISU campus. Admission is free. Spanish-language translators also will be available.
Pharmacy students will offer free services to the public, including blood glucose readings, hemoglobin A1c readings, cardiovascular risk assessment and blood pressure readings.
ISU dental-hygiene students will offer diabetic oral-care consultations, while ISU dietetic students will provide proper nutrition information.
Other services available at a reduced fee include cholesterol and lipid analysis, bone density scans and flu immunizations.
The public also is encouraged to bring medications they are currently taking for free counseling for Medicare/Medicaid prescription plans, regardless if it is a new signup plan or change in the plan.
Additional services and sponsors include:
• Learn your risk for diabetes or heart disease or pre-diabetes;
• Food checks, courtesy of ISU nursing and pharmacy students;
• Nutrition information, courtesy of ISU dietetic students;
• Body-mass index assessment, courtesy of ISU nursing students; and
• Diabetes y Familia, courtesy of the ISU Anthropology Department.
For more information, contact Dr. Cindy Wilson, ISU College of Pharmacy at 282-3670.