Getting Started Checklist
2) Apply online for VA Benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
If you do not apply online, fill out and submit the appropriate paper forms to the Office of the Registrar:
- GI Bill use Form 22-1990
- Post-9/11 Dependent use Form 22-1990e
- DEA use Form 22-5490
- Voc Rehab use Form 28-1990
- Transferring GI Bill use Form 22-1995
- Transferring DEA use Form 22-5495
It takes 6 to 10 weeks for the VA to determine your eligibility.
If you are eligible for benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility that you must submit to the VA Certifying Official to continue receiving VA Education Benefits.
3) Send in official transcripts
- New freshmen: High School or GED transcripts
- Transfer Students: All college transcripts
- All Students: Military Transcripts (optional – recommended to discuss with VA Educational Benefits Coordinator prior to submitting)
4) Apply for Financial Aid (optional, once a year)
Apply for Financial Aid by completing a FAFSA online.
ISU School Code for Financial Aid: 001620
Once accepted to ISU, complete these steps every semester:
1) Meet with an Advisor
Academic advising is available in the Central Academic Advising office:
Central Academic Advising
(208) 282-3277 or (208) 282-7800 (Idaho Falls)
2) Register for Classes
3) Submit a VA Registration Form
If you want to receive VA Education Benefits, you must complete and submit a VA Registration Form after you register for classes every semester.
4) Apply for Tuition Assistance (if eligible, through Army Reserves or National Guard)
Apply for assistance online on the Go Army Ed website.
Fall and Spring:
Monday - Friday
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Monday - Friday
7:30 am – 4:00 pm