Online Writing Tutoring
ISU's Writing Center offers online tutoring services for you when you aren't able to meet face-to-face with a tutor at our Pocatello or Idaho Falls locations. The online writing tutors are the same tutors you would meet with during an in-person session. Like face-to-face tutors, online tutors do not offer proofreading or editing services. Instead, they'll work directly with you to improve all aspects of your paper.
Two kinds of online tutoring are available: live, interactive feedback via WC Online and 48-hour feedback.
The Writing Center uses the program "Writing Center Online" to hold live appointments. The program allows you to upload your essay before working with the tutor. Video and chat are available to speak with your tutor while you meet. These appointments take place during regular tutoring hours; the tutors you meet with are the same tutors you would meet with during an in-person session.
Video and Text
- If your computer has a camera and a microphone, you can see and speak with your writing tutor as if you were using Zoom.
- If you don't have a camera and microphone or you don't want to use them, you can use the chat function as if you were texting.
- Whichever you choose, both you and the tutor will be able to see your paper on screen.
- You can look at either the Pocatello or Idaho Falls appointment schedule to find an available slot that works for you with a tutor who has "Face-to-face or online tutoring" under their name.
- Please use the appointments that say ESOL only if you are an international or graduate student.
- Make your appointment and select "Yes-Meet Online" from the pull-down menu.
- After you "save" your appointment, you can "attach a file." Please attach the draft of your paper and, if possible, a copy of the assignment sheet / requirements.
- If you're making the appointment several days in advance and you're still working on your draft, you can wait to attach it until an hour before your appointment. Just go back into the schedule and click on the appointment, which should show up as a red time slot.
Starting an Appointment
- When it's time for your appointment, go back into the online appointment book and click on the red appointment slot.
- On the screen that pops up, click "Join online session."
- The chatroom screen should appear and should look like the image below.
- If you have any difficulty, call us at 282-3662.
"48-hour feedback" is another type of online tutoring with the Writing Center in which you can send us a paper and get comments back within 48 working hours.
If you are a graduate student you are encouraged to use 48-hour feedback using both the Pocatello and the Idaho Falls appointment books.
- 48-hour feedback appointments marked "other" generally are reserved for undergraduate students.
- 48-hour appointments appear in the schedule from 9-11am M-F as "E-tutoring."
- Make a 30-minute appointment for a 1-4 page paper; make a 60-minute appointment for a 5-10 page paper.
- If your paper is more than 10 pages long, expect us to negotiate a new date for comments to be returned.
- Once you've saved your appointment, attach a draft of your paper and (if possible) a copy of the teacher's assignment sheet.
- Please send your document as a Microsoft Word file, if at all possible.
- If you're making the appointment several days in advance and you're still working on your draft, you can wait to attach it until the day of your appointment.
- To add a draft to an existing appointment, click on the appointment, which should show up as a red time slot.
- If you still have trouble attaching your file, send a copy to email@example.com.
- The tutor will not make changes in your paper. All feedback will be made through comments in Microsoft Word.
- When the tutor has uploaded the paper with comments, you will be notified by email.
- If you have any difficulty, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 208-282-3662.