What We Do
The Writing Center helps you build the skills you need for all your writing projects. We work with students writing anthropology papers, biology lab reports, marketing plans--even scholarship applications. We can help you talk through your project's ideas and organization; we can help you find patterns in your errors and learn ways to fix them. Whether you're a first-year student writing a personal essay or a doctoral student working on a dissertation, we can provide the "second pair of eyes" that every good writer wants.
The Writing Center is supported by student fees and there is no additional cost to make an appointment. All registered ISU students, including dual-enrolled Early College students, are welcome to use the center.
Types of Appointments
- In-person. Make an in-person appointment with a tutor in Pocatello or Idaho Falls by selecting "In-person Pocatello" or "In-person Idaho Falls" in the meeting type dropdown menu. Face coverings are required for in-person appointments.
- Video call. Make an online chat or audio/visual appointment from anywhere by selecting "Video Call" in the meeting type drop down menu.
- Written feedback. Get written comments on your draft within two working days (this can vary depending on the length of your paper) by selecting "Written Feedback: Undergraduate Papers" or "Written Feedback: Graduate Paper" in the meeting type dropdown menu.
In the Navigate Student app, click on "Appointments" and then click "Schedule An Appointment." Select "Tutoring" for the Care Unit, then "Writing Support" for the Service.
- Appointments are usually necessary, although you can call 208-282-3662 to see if a tutor is available for walk-ins.
- You can make 30-minute appointments for 1-4 page papers and 60 minute appointments for 5-10 page papers.
- You can make up to two hours of appointments in any week.
- If you make an appointment and can't attend it, please cancel it at least two hours ahead of time so somebody else can use it.
- Running late? Call and let us know! If you're more than 5 minutes late and haven't called, your appointment may be given to someone waiting.
- If you miss two appointments without giving us two hours' notice, you won't be able to make other appointments this term (you can still drop by to see if a tutor is available).
- Plan ahead--our schedule can fill up quickly, especially at the middle and end of the term!
Many of your writing questions can be answered with our collection of handouts. Got an APA question? Our Using APA Style page may help.
Questions or concerns?
Call us at 208-282-3662 or email us at email@example.com.