Skip to Main Content

Certification Programs

The College of Education offers degrees and certification programs designed to meet the Idaho standards and requirements for initial certification of professional school personnel approved by the Idaho State Board of Education and the Idaho State Department of Education. Persons holding degrees are eligible for certification-only programs. An Accelerated Certification Sequence of Courses is available for those who already hold a bachelor's degree and who are interested in the Idaho Standard Secondary Certificate. Idaho also permits eligible candidates to become certificated teachers without following a standard teacher education program through Alternative Certification. Candidates for the Standard Secondary Certificate can also add endorsements to their certificate before or after graduation.

Persons completing an initial certification program (a.k.a. Program Completers) are eligible for a recommendation from the College of Education for a standard teaching certificate as follows:

Standard Elementary Certificate (K-8)
Standard Secondary Certificate (6-12)
Standard Exceptional Child Certificate (K-12)
**Administrator Certificate (Pre K-12)
**Pupil Personnel Services Certificate (Pre K-12)

**For administrator certificates, pupil personnel services certificates (such as school psychologist or school guidance counselor), and the Standard Exceptional Child Certificate with the Hearing Impaired (K-12) endorsement, see the College of Education section of the Graduate School Catalog or pertinent sections of the undergraduate or graduate catalogs for programs offered by the Division of Health Sciences. Candidates interested in becoming certified teachers of children who are deaf/hard of hearing in Idaho will need to earn a bachelor’s degree and have met the requirements for a Standard Elementary Certificate (K-8), a Standard Secondary Certificate (6-12), or a Standard Exceptional Child Certificate with the Generalist (K-12) endorsement.



Teaching Certification - student presentation

The Non-Teaching Certification Application Instructions outlines what needs to be completed for individuals that are certifying in anything other than elementary, secondary education, PE or Music. Certification Application Instructions are directions for individuals certifying in Education (secondary, elementary, PE and Music).

Application for certification is separate from application for graduation. The most current certification forms are available to download from the Idaho State Department of Education. Completed forms may be submitted to the advising office at:

College of Education
Kent Center
921 South 8th Avenue Stop 8059
Pocatello, Idaho, USA 83209

For more information, please contact the advising office at (208) 282-2783.

Candidates who desire to pursue professional certification in a state other than Idaho are advised to consult with the certification department from the state in which they are seeking certification.

The College of Education maintains a record of all individuals recommended for certification. The Dean and the faculty of the College of Education reserve the right to refuse to recommend a program completer for a standard teaching certificate, if such recommendation would appear to be contrary to or in violation of Sections 33-1202 and/or 33-1208, Idaho Code.


Contact Information:

Jamie Webster
Advising Coordinator, Undergraduate Advising Center
Phone: (208) 282-2783