In order to become a cooperating teacher, [Idaho School Code mandates] that cooperating teachers:
- Certified to teach in the content area in which intern will be placed
- Three years of full-time successful teaching experience
- Recommendation of principal
- Strong mentoring skills; desire to mentor an emerging professional
- Interested in partnering with ISU in the preparation of a future professional educator
Cooperating teachers serve as mentors for both the clinical experiences and student teaching internship.
Cooperating teacher responsibilities when hosting an Idaho State student teacher:
- Work closely with student-teacher when planning their initial lessons
- Co-plan and co-teach
- Assist, mentor, observe
- Complete 5 Framework for Teaching observations
- Provide opportunities for a minimum of 4 weeks of solo teaching
- Coordinate with the University Supervisor to complete the Idaho Professional Learning Plan (IPLP) and Common Summative Assessment (CSA)
Tuition Fee Waivers
To show our sincere gratitude for the mentors of the future professional educators in Idaho, Idaho State University offers fee waivers.