Admission to the MA Program
The student must apply to, and meet all criteria for, admission to the Graduate School. In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, the student must comply with the following departmental requirements:
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0) for the last 60± credits taken as an undergraduate, or permission of the Graduate Director.
- Include a statement of interest and career goals.
- Three letters of recommendation must accompany the application.
- GRE scores are not required for admission but can be submitted by applicants for further evidence of academic preparation, if preferred.
For full admission to the graduate program in Sociology, the student must have completed the following courses or their equivalent:
- Introduction to Sociology
- Social Theory
- Social Statistics
- Social Science Research Methods
In cases of deficiencies, students may be granted waivers, alternative courses, or Classified with Performance Requirements (w/PR) admission at the discretion of the Sociology Graduate Director.
Apply to the Graduate School
The application can also be found by clicking on 'APPLY NOW' at the Graduate School website. The application requires a fee of $55, which must be paid when you apply on-line. It also requires that your official transcripts be sent to the Graduate School office at:
921 South 8th Avenue, Stop 8075
Pocatello, ID 83209
Please check with the Graduate School if you have any problems with the application, fees, or transcripts at (208) 282-2150. In addition, please follow up with the Graduate School every two weeks to ensure your paperwork is being processed in a timely manner.
- Fall and Summer: April 1
- Spring: November 1
- Teaching Assistantship: March 15 (Spring only, email directly to email@example.com)
*If these dates fall on a weekend, the deadline is moved to the following Monday.
Send your three letters of recommendation via email OR standard mail to:
Sociology Graduate Program
Attn: Dr. Morey Burnham
Department of Sociology, Social Work & Criminology
Idaho State University
921 South 8th Avenue, Stop 8114
Pocatello, ID 83209