Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology

Download FAQ SLP Master's Program

1)  Specific Graduate Program Information

  • Is a deposit required if accepted to our SLP Master’s program?
    • A $200 deposit is required to secure your seat. The deposit will be credited towards tuition for your first semester of classes.
    • If you are offered a seat in our program, you will have 3 weeks from the offer deadline to make the deposit. The deposit will be forfeited if you withdraw before starting the program.
  • Is the SLP Master’s Program full-time or part-time?
    • Our campus program is generally a full-time, two year program that consists of 6 semesters (fall, spring & summer). Our online program is a part-time, 3 year program consisting of 9 semesters.  Our Master’s Program consists of 60-64 credits.
  • When does the program begin?
    • Our program begins in August only (fall semester).
  • How many students are accepted each fall?
    • We accept 19 students on each campus and 20 students in our online program for a total of 58 students. We have two campus programs - Pocatello, ID and Meridian, ID.
    • Within the CSDCAS application, you will choose your program preference(s). You must list a first choice.  You may list a second choice, but it is not required.  Please do not list a second choice if it will not be an option for you.  Listing a second choice does not increase your odds of receiving an offer to attend our program.
  • How many students apply each year?
    • We received over 500 applications last year. More than half of those applications were for our online program.
  • Are scholarships offered that cover student tuition?
    • Our department participates in the WRGP program (see more information below).
    • We have approximately 3 GTA/GRA positions available on each campus. We also have paid student worker positions available for graduate students.  (See GTA/GRA section below for more information and how to apply for the positions.) The application for all positions must be submitted under the “Questions” section of the CSDCAS application.
    • We currently do not offer departmental scholarships. If you need assistance with funding your education, please visit the Financial Aid Office website at -
  • How to apply for the WRGP (Western Regional Graduate Program).
    • The WRGP program allows graduate level students who have legal resident status in one of the WICHE member states to enroll at participating institutions outside of their home state and pay instate tuition.
    • If you are admitted to our program, and qualify for the WRGP tuition credit, we will submit the required paperwork for you. You will receive a tuition credit approximately 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the fall semester. Fall classes begin approximately the 3rd full week in August.
    • All out-of-state online students pay in-state tuition. In addition to tuition, all Online students are assessed online fees, which are currently an additional $490 per credit.
    • The WRGP participating states are: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) and Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming
  • What is the cost of attending our Program?

2)  Transcripts

  • Where do I send transcripts?
    • Both ISU Graduate School and CSDCAS 


      ISU Graduate School                              CSDCAS Transcript Processing Center                  
      921 S. 8th Ave Mail Stop 8075               PO Box 9113
      Pocatello, ID 83209‐8075                      Watertown, MA 02471     
  • Can I send copies of my transcripts?
    • ISU will accept ‘unofficial’ transcripts. You may email unofficial transcripts to ISU at  ‘Official’ transcripts will be required if you are offered a seat in our program. CSDCAS will only accept official transcripts.  Official transcripts must come directly from your institution.  You cannot send transcripts yourself, even if sealed and marked ‘official’. Transcripts must be submitted and received by both CSDCAS and the Graduate School before you will be considered for a seat in our program.
    • ISU graduate school will accept electronic transcripts. Transcripts must be in pdf form and include the institutions full name along with your full name. Official transcripts can be submitted electronically directly from your University to our University to For detailed information on how to submit your official transcripts to CSDCAS, please go to
  • If I attended Idaho State University, do I need to send ISU transcripts to the Graduate School at ISU?
    • No, but, CSDCAS will require official transcripts from all universities/colleges attended.

3)  GRE scores

  • What are the GRE score requirements?
    • Your GRE scores must have been taken within the last 5 years.  All applicants are required to take the GRE - no exceptions. At least one subsection score (Quantitative, Verbal, or Analytical) from the GRE must be at or above the 40th percentile.  Note, however, that successful applicants to the ISU SLP program usually have more than one subsection score at or above the 40th percentile. If any subsection percentile score(s) are single digits, we highly recommend you retake the GRE.
  • Where do I send my GRE scores?
    • ISU Graduate School only. You may upload a copy of your GRE scores directly into your ISU graduate application via the CollegeNet portal.  Official scores will be required if you are offered a seat in our program.
  • What is the code for ISU? Do I need to use a department code?
    • 4355 - We do not have a department code.
  • When do I need to have my GRE scores submitted by?
    • Our application deadline is January 15th.  GRE scores will be accepted no later than February 15th.  If they arrive after Feb. 15th, your application will not be considered. You can check if your GRE scores have been processed by the graduate school via the ISU College.Net application portal.  If you have questions regarding the processing of your GRE scores, please contact the Graduate School directly at
  • Do we accept the MAT? No                                                                       

4)  Letters of Recommendation

  • How many letters of recommendation do I need to submit?
    • 3 letters are submitted through CSDCAS only. Please do not send letters directly to our department.
    • Letters of evaluation must be completed via the online evaluator portal through CSDCAS and must be completed BY THE EVALUATOR THEMSELVES and written at the time of your request. It is highly recommended that you contact the reference in person prior to submitting their information to CSDCAS.  Once you have chosen your references, be certain to inform them of the process and that they will be filling out the reference electronically.  Obtain their preferred e-mail address and make sure they are monitoring their e-mail inbox for your reference request e-mail.  Please, carefully follow the instructions for submitting letters of recommendation located on the CSDCAS website -                 
  • Whom should I ask for a recommendation?
    • The recommendations may be from a college or university instructor/faculty member, employer, supervisor, or volunteer work supervisor, etc.  Letters should not be from family members or friends. Seek recommendations from those who can address your potential for success in the graduate program, academically and/or clinically. We recommend two of the three letters be from academic faculty members.  This is only a recommendation and not a requirement.

5)  Personal Essay & CV/Resume

  • Where do I submit my personal essay and cv/resume?
    • Program Materials/Documents section of the CSDCAS application (essay maximum is 500 words)
  • What should I include in my essay?
    • Briefly describe:
      • why you've chosen to pursue a career in Speech-Language Pathology
      • what aspect of your previous SLP coursework or related experiences will be most interesting for you to apply clinically in graduate school
      • why ISU is a good choice for you

6)  GTA/GRA and paid student worker positions (Optional)

  • We have approximately 3 GTA/GRA positions available on each campus.  We also have paid student worker positions available.  To apply for positions, you must complete the Optional ‘Program Materials/Questions’ section of the CSDCAS application.  These positions are offered to 1st and 2nd year students attending our campus program. They are not available for students in our online program.

7)  Pre-Requisites

  • I have not taken all the required SLP Master's Program CSD Course Pre-Requisites 2018/2019 application cycle, where do I list those that I plan on taking?
    • When entering your transcripts in CSDCAS, you can select ‘in-progress’ or ‘planned’ for those pre-requisites that have not yet been completed, are in-progress, and/or those that you plan on taking. There is also a place for you to list those same pre-requisites in the ‘Program Materials/Questions’ section.
  • If I haven’t finished all the pre-requisites, will my application still be considered?
    • You must complete the majority of the required pre-requisite coursework by the summer prior to the start of the Master’s program, which is approximately the 3rd full week in August. You may be able to incorporate 1 or 2 missing pre-requisite courses into the Master’s program, depending on the pre-requisite(s) that you are missing. It may extend the length of the Master’s program. If you are admitted to our program and are notified of missing pre-requisites, we highly recommend you take them the summer prior to beginning our SLP Master’s program.
  • What do I do if I have not taken CSD 4417 Interdisciplinary Evaluation Team (IET). 
    • CSD 4417 is only offered at ISU. You will take CSD 5517 the first spring semester of the Master’s program.                     

8)  GPA

  • Is there a minimum GPA requirement?
    • To be considered for our SLP Master’s program, you must have a minimum 3.0 GPA on your most recent 60 credit hours. The majority of the applicants currently offered a seat in our program have a 3.4 GPA or higher.
  • How is my GPA calculated?
    • The Graduate School uses your most recent 60 credit hours of coursework, as does CSDCAS. We also carefully consider your CSD coursework and undergrad GPA.

9)  Application Deadline

  • January 15th
    • Your CSDCAS application must be electronically submitted with fees paid no later than Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, on January 15th. We realize processing time can take 2-4 weeks.  We expect applications to be processed and finalized with all application materials received no later than February 15th. 
    • Your Idaho State University Graduate School application must be electronically submitted with fees paid no later than Midnight, Mountain Standard Time, on January 15th.  
    • Applications are not required to be processed and finalized by January 15th, but they must be submitted with fees paid by January 15th.
    • GRE scores should be submitted by January 15th but may arrive as late as February 15th. If GRE scores arrive after February 15th, your application will not be considered.

10)  Apply