Applying to the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology
DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 1, 2020
ALL application materials including Letters of Recommendation, GRE scores, and transcripts (including fall/winter grades if applicable) MUST be received by the February 1st deadline.
There is one application process for both the online and campus programs. The program selection is located within the CSDCAS application. Applicants will select a first and second program choice (if applicable). Your options are the Pocatello campus, the Meridian campus, and the Online Program. We currently accept 19 students on each campus and 20 students in our online program, for a total of 58 students. Applicants must also apply to Idaho State University's graduate school. Application fees are assessed for both CSDCAS and the Graduate School applications.
Carefully follow the detailed Master of Science in SLP Application Instructions
IMPORTANT! Prior to applying to our online program, please check to see if your state is served.
Minimum requirements for consideration:
- A BS/BA in Communication Sciences or a BS/BA in another field and completion of the SLP Master's Program CSD Course Pre-Requisites for the 2019/2020 application cycle. Communication Sciences & Disorders coursework cannot be older than 10 years from the date in which you would begin the Master's Program if admitted. Please contact our department if your CSD coursework is older than 8 years to be sure we will accept it.
- A GPA of 3.0 or better on the most recent 60 credits of coursework
- At least one score in the 40th percentile or higher on the GRE. If you have one or more GRE score(s) with a single digit percentile, we highly recommend you retake the GRE. The following website has a free review for the GRE test - http://www.mometrix.com/academy/gre-test/
- 3 letters of recommendation, personal essay, and resume (all submitted through CSDCAS only)
- Both the CSDCAS and the Graduate School applications must be electronically submitted with fees paid by February 1 of the year in which you wish to enter the graduate program. ALL application materials including Letters of Recommendation, GRE scores, and transcripts (including fall/winter grades if applicable) MUST be received by the February 1st deadline. Please see the Master of Science in SLP Application Instructions for more details.
- A minimum of 25 ASHA approved observation hours must be completed prior to beginning our SLP Master's Program. Copies of original documentation, which includes supervisor signatures, will be required soon after the program begins.
APPLY (The CSDCAS application and the Graduate School application can be completed concurrently):
- Apply to the Graduate School at Idaho State University (application fee assessed)
- Your application must be submitted with fees by February 1 at midnight, MST (Mountain Standard Time) of the year in which you would like to enroll.
- The 2019/2020 Graduate School application portal will open August 5.
Contact the graduate school directly with application difficulties at email@example.com or 208-282-2150.
- Apply to CSDCAS, the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Service (application fee assessed) *Carefully read the instructions for each section of the application before submitting.
a. ‘Supporting Information’ - Experiences/Achievements/Conferences:
- Your application must be submitted with fees paid by February 1 at midnight, EST (Eastern Standard Time) of the year in which you would like to enroll. ALL application materials including Letters of Recommendation, GRE scores, and transcripts (including fall/winter grades if applicable) must be received by the February 1st deadline.
- The address and email information you provide to CSDCAS will be used to contact you regarding your application status. Please notify our department if your contact information changes.
- The CSDCAS application portal opens Monday, Aug. 5, 2019. CSDCAS Customer Service is available Monday thru Friday from 9am - 5pm EST, phone - (617) 612-2030.
b. ‘Supporting Information’ - Letters of Recommendation:
Employment, related academic, volunteer experiences, work, internships
Awards, certification areas and endorsements, honors
c. ‘Program Materials’ - Documents/Questions:
3 letters of recommendation must be submitted directly to CSDCAS. Do not send letters of recommendation to our department. Please read the instructions located on the CSDCAS website for details.
It is your responsibility to confirm references receive the reference request email and that references have successfully submitted the recommendation letter to CSDCAS.
Personal Essay (maximum 500 words)
- Why you have chosen to pursue a career in Speech-Language Pathology
- What aspect of your previous SLP coursework or related experiences will be most interesting for you to apply clinically in graduate school
- Why Idaho State University is a good choice for you
Optional – Apply for GTA and paid student worker positions. We have approximately 3 GTA positions available on each campus. We also have paid student worker positions. To be considered, you must complete the ‘Optional’ section in the CSDCAS application. These positions are not available for students in the online program.
- Send all college/university transcripts to both Idaho State University Graduate School and CSDCAS. It is very important that you follow application instructions for sending transcripts. Transcripts must be received by both CSDCAS and the Graduate School before your application will be considered for a seat in our program.
Take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination - https://www.ets.org/gre)
Send official scores to CSDCAS. Scores must be received by the February 1 deadline.
Use code 4545
Processing time can take up to 4 weeks, so please plan accordingly. Please check the status of your applications often via the online portals you created when applying. It is your responsibility to confirm all application materials are received by both CSDCAS and the Graduate School. ALL application materials including Letters of Recommendation, GRE scores, and transcripts (including fall/winter grades if applicable) must be received by the February 1st deadline. We strive to have first round admission decisions made by March 1st.
Questions can be directed to our department at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or 208-282-4544.
Contact Speech-Language Pathology
(208) 282-4196 Admin.
(208) 282-4544 Program Information
Idaho State Univ. - CSD
921 South 8th Ave, Stop 8116
Pocatello, Idaho 83209-8116