This page is intended as a quick reference for face-covering usage. Check the operational levels for further guidance. All members of our Bengal community have a shared responsibility in doing their part to protect one another, our families, and those who are medically vulnerable. Face coverings are required indoors for all individuals (regardless of vaccination status) unless alone in a private office or workspace.
Putting on your face covering
Wash hands or use hand sanitizer prior to handling face covering.
- Situate the face-covering properly with nose wire snug against the nose (where applicable).
- Tie straps behind the head and neck or loop around the ears.
- Ensure the face-covering fits over the nose and under the chin.
- Try to fit it snugly against the sides of your face.
- Make sure you can breathe easily.
Wearing your face covering
- Ensure face covering remains over both the nose and the mouth.
- Refrain from touching the face covering, eyes, nose or mouth.
- Do not remove or lower the mask to talk.
Taking off your face covering
- Do not touch eyes, nose, or mouth when wearing or removing face covering.
- When taking off the face coverings, loop your finger into the strap and pull the strap away from the ear, or untie the straps.
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer immediately after removing.
Care, storage, and laundering
- Store in a clean safe area, when not in use.
- A paper bag may be used for storage.
- Launder before first use, and after each shift.
- Launder in washing machine with regular clothing detergent.
- Hand wash by soaking in a bleach solution of 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of room temperature water for 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
- Completely dry before wearing.
- Use dryer on highest setting or lay flat in direct sun, if possible.
- Dispose of face covering if visibly damaged or dirty/visibly contaminated.
Regular laundering of face covering.
Throughout the process, avoid touching the front of the face covering.