This page is intended as a quick reference for face-covering usage. Face coverings are optional for all campus locations. It is important to note that masks may be required in select on-campus clinics and health care facilities. If they are required in a health care setting, the entrance will be clearly marked with signage. There are no additional requirements in place for face coverings at events. Individuals are always welcome to wear a face covering to help protect themselves and others. Everyone should assess their own personal risk level and make decisions about where and when they choose to wear a face covering.
Putting on your face covering
Wash hands or use hand sanitizer prior to handling face covering.
- Situate the face-covering properly with nose wire snug against the nose (where applicable).
- Tie straps behind the head and neck or loop around the ears.
- Ensure the face-covering fits over the nose and under the chin.
- Try to fit it snugly against the sides of your face.
- Make sure you can breathe easily.
Wearing your face covering
- Ensure face covering remains over both the nose and the mouth.
- Refrain from touching the face covering, eyes, nose or mouth.
- Do not remove or lower the mask to talk.
Taking off your face covering
- Do not touch eyes, nose, or mouth when wearing or removing face covering.
- When taking off the face coverings, loop your finger into the strap and pull the strap away from the ear, or untie the straps.
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer immediately after removing.
Care, storage, and laundering
- Store in a clean safe area, when not in use.
- A paper bag may be used for storage.
- Launder before first use, and after each shift.
- Launder in washing machine with regular clothing detergent.
- Hand wash by soaking in a bleach solution of 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of room temperature water for 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
- Completely dry before wearing.
- Use dryer on highest setting or lay flat in direct sun, if possible.
- Dispose of face covering if visibly damaged or dirty/visibly contaminated.
Regular laundering of face covering.
Throughout the process, avoid touching the front of the face covering.