This page is intended as a quick reference for face covering usage. See the Stage Four Employee Operations Guidelines for additional details. All supervisors, faculty and staff are expected to review and discuss the guidelines together.
All members of our Bengal community have a shared responsibility in doing their part to protect one another, our families, and those who are medically vulnerable. Starting now, and moving into the Fall semester, all faculty, staff, students, and visitors are required and expected to wear face coverings while on our campuses.
Face covering expectations at Idaho State University:
- Faculty, staff, and students are required to properly wear cloth or disposable face coverings while on campus unless you are alone in a private office. Face coverings do not replace the need for physical distancing.
- Face coverings should be worn in all shared or public spaces such as common work areas, hallways, meeting rooms, classrooms, research labs, when meeting with someone in a private office, etc.
- Face coverings should also be used outdoors when in the presence of other individuals.
- While you are working alone in a private office, vehicle, or outdoors where physical distancing is possible, you may remove your face covering.
- ISU will be providing all employees and students with cloth face coverings prior to the start of the fall semester. In the meantime, please use personal face coverings.
- Disposable face coverings for visitors to your department can be requested through the Bengal Depot Order Form.
- Disregarding this expectation risks the health and safety of our campus community and our ability to carry out our mission. As such, like any other job expectation or student conduct expectation, disregarding this requirement can lead to disciplinary action.
- Supervisors, department heads and faculty: additional guidance is available in the Manager’s Toolkit and the Faculty Toolkit to support you in conversations related to the use of face coverings.
We will distribute the face covering bulk order when it arrives in August. Until they arrive, employees should use personal face coverings. Employees who do not have personal face coverings and need one immediately should coordinate with their supervisor to request one from Bengal Depot.
Putting on your face covering
Wash hands or use hand sanitizer prior to handling face covering.
- Situate the face-covering properly with nose wire snug against the nose (where applicable).
- Tie straps behind the head and neck or loop around the ears.
- Ensure the face-covering fits over the nose and under the chin.
- Try to fit it snugly against the sides of your face.
- Make sure you can breathe easily.
Wearing your face covering
- Ensure face covering remains over both the nose and the mouth.
- Refrain from touching the face covering, eyes, nose or mouth.
- Do not remove or lower the mask to talk.
Taking off your face covering
- Do not touch eyes, nose, or mouth when wearing or removing face covering.
- When taking off the face coverings, loop your finger into the strap and pull the strap away from the ear, or untie the straps.
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer immediately after removing.
Care, storage, and laundering
- Store in a clean safe area, when not in use.
- A paper bag may be used for storage.
- Launder before first use, and after each shift.
- Launder in washing machine with regular clothing detergent.
- Hand wash by soaking in a bleach solution of 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of room temperature water for 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
- Completely dry before wearing.
- Use dryer on highest setting or lay flat in direct sun, if possible.
- Dispose of face covering if visibly damaged or dirty/visibly contaminated.
Regular laundering of face covering.
Throughout the process, avoid touching the front of the face covering.
- Face Covering Toolkit for Faculty
- Face Covering Toolkit for Managers
- Face Coverings, Masks, and COVID-19
- Use and Care of Cloth Face Coverings
- Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19
- Prevent the Spread
- Poster for outside of an area-orange
- Poster for outside of an area-greyscale
- Poster for outside your personal space-orange
- Poster for outside your personal space-greyscale