Misconduct in Research & Scholarship
ISU is dedicated to the development and dissemination of knowledge. ISU is responsible to foster an environment where new methods, ideas and knowledge may be developed and tested.
Federal guidelines require ISU to investigate and resolve all research misconduct allegations and/or infractions.
What counts as Research Misconduct?
- Fabrication, falsification or plagiarism of proposals, project performance, or in reporting results.
- Fabrication - making up data or results and recording or reporting them.
- Falsification - manipulating research materials, equipment, or processes, or changing or omitting data or results such that the research is not accurately represented in the research record.
- Plagiarism - the use of another person's ideas, processes, results, or words without giving appropriate credit.
- Research misconduct does not include honest error or differences of opinion.
When Research Misconduct is alleged, ISU is obligated to investigate and resolve all such allegations and/or infractions.
This is a role of Research Outreach & Compliance (ROC).
Investigation and resolution serve three main purposes, to:
- maintain the integrity and accountability of research & scholarly work at ISU,
- protect innocent scholars from harassment, and
- protect individuals reporting allegations from possible retribution.
All faculty, staff, and students involved in research and scholarly activities under ISU’s auspices are expected to conform to the accepted standards within their field for the ethical conduct of research and scholarly activities.
Report Research Misconduct
Anonymously report research misconduct or non-compliance
By phone: 1-800-716-9007
Online: MySafeCampus.com 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Or you may contact
ISU’s Research Integrity Officer
Deb Easterly, Assistant Vice President for Research Outreach & Compliance (ROC)
at (208) 282-2618.
Which policy applies?
ISU applies the
definition of "research misconduct"
Research Outreach & Compliance (ROC)
Contact Our Office:
Research Outreach & Compliance
Export Control Officer
1651 Alvin Ricken Drive, Room 107
Pocatello, ID 83201
921 S. 8th Ave., Stop 8286
Pocatello, ID 83209-8286