Animal Research Occupational Health and Safety Plan
Research presents risks for people who may come into contact with either wild or vivarium-housed research animals, while performing work, research or education.
These risks range from exposure to agents used during experiments, to reactions by people to the animals in use, or due to past exposures to chemicals, materials or animals.
The Animal Research Occupational Health and Safety Plan is provided by the IACUC.
Working in accordance with the Plan is required to ensure the your safety and the stability of the lab environments associated with animal research.
The Plan set of documents begins with the Overview and continues through a set of documents to be completed by the PI.
Animal Use Occupational Health and Safety Program (AUOHSP) Overview (9 key concepts) pdf
Occupational Health and Safety Acknowledgement for Work with Animals (all project personnel complete) pdf
For Respirator Use in Animal Facilities see the EH&S Occupational Health and Safety Respiratory Protection page
Occupational Health Initiative Fact Sheets
These readings to let you know which forms you need to complete to satisfy your response to the Plan.
- Working with Animals in the Field pdf
- Medical Monitoring & Immunization pdf
- Precautions to take during Pregnancy, Illness or Decreased Immunocompetence pdf
- Required Protection Measures for Persons Handling Animals – Involved with the Use of Biohazardous Materials pdf
- Reporting Bites & Scratches, Tracking Injuries & Illness pdf