Working with Animals
Researchers wanting to perform research with animals should understand these two facets:
- The Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC), which administers the use of research animals
- The ISU Animal Facility where research animals may be housed and studied at ISU
COVID-19 ACCESS to the Animal Care Facility
During the Roaring Back response to COVID-19 the Animal Care Facility Staff working in the facility between 8:00 am and 11:00 am Monday thru Friday. Please use Facility phone number and email to reach them at other times.
Researchers please check animals and perform your work after 11:00 am as much as possible to support physical distancing.
These guidelines are in place to ensure staff and researcher safety in support of continued animal research.
- Only approved personnel working under protocols are allowed in the facility at this time
- New personnel can be added to work teams following a protocol amendment approved by IACUC and completion of COVID Updated Animal Care Facility Access Training for New Personnel*
- If you are feeling sick or unwell do not come into the animal facility
- Please -
- Limit to 2 people at a time in all animal rooms; remember to physical distance in the rooms
- When possible maintain social distancing >6 feet when interacting with people
- Limit interaction with people to only what is needed during necessary activities
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer before and after any human interaction
- When working with other people make sure you wear masks or face coverings at all times
- When performing surgery there may be up to 3 people to help maintain animal safety
- When leaving a room please wipe down all contact surfaces with sanitizing wipes
Thank you for following these guidelines.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact Shelley Knight or Mia Benkenstein via cell phone or firstname.lastname@example.org email, subject line: ACF Access.