Misconduct in Research & Scholarship
ISU is dedicated to the development and dissemination of knowledge. ISU is responsible to foster an environment where new methods, ideas and knowledge may be developed and tested.
Federal guidelines require ISU to investigate and resolve all research misconduct allegations and/or infractions.
What counts as Research Misconduct?
- Fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism of proposals, project performance, or reporting results.
- Fabrication - making up data or results and recording or reporting them.
- Falsification - manipulating research materials, equipment, or processes, or changing or omitting data or results such that the research is not accurately represented in the research record.
- Plagiarism - the use of another person's ideas, processes, results, or words without giving appropriate credit.
- Research misconduct does not include honest errors or differences of opinion.
When Research Misconduct is alleged, ISU is obligated to investigate and resolve all such allegations and/or infractions.
This is the role of Research Integrity & Compliance (RIC).
Investigation and resolution serve three main purposes:
- maintain the integrity and accountability of research & scholarly work at ISU,
- protect innocent scholars from harassment, and
- protect individuals reporting allegations from possible retribution.
All faculty, staff, and students involved in research and scholarly activities under ISU’s auspices are expected to conform to the accepted standards within their field for the ethical conduct of research and scholarly activities.
Report Research Misconduct
Anonymously report research misconduct or non-compliance
By phone: 1-800-716-9007
Online: Convercent (formerly My Safe Campus) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Or you may contact
ISU’s Interim Research Integrity Officer
Dave Harris, Assistant Vice President, Office for Research at 208-282-2592.
Which policy applies?
Misconduct in Research and Scholarship ISUPP 7060
Implementing Procedure for Misconduct in Research and Scholarship under ISUPP 7060
Appendix A - Research Integrity Officer (RIO) Responsibilities under the Implementing Procedures for ISUPP 7060
ISU applies the
definition of "research misconduct"