Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Export Control at ISU 

An export is “Any item that is sent from the United States to a foreign destination."

According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, "Items" include, "commodities, software or technology - such as clothing, building materials, circuit boards, automotive parts, blueprints, design plans, retail software packages, and technical information.”

It is important to keep in mind that this definition includes “technology and technical information.”
Exporting includes sharing the ideas of this technology with those who are not US persons. This could happen at a conference in a foreign country or even in the hallway at ISU. After an action is determined to be an export, the next step is to determine if that item being shared is export-controlled. If it is, you will need a license. The EC office can help you determine this and secure any needed licenses.

Most of the research conducted at ISU is considered fundamental research.
Fundamental research is “university research that carries with it no restrictions on publishing the results. Fundamental research has no export control restrictions. (The term fundamental research is not the same as basic research. Basic or applied research can both be fundamental research.)

To find out if your interactions with foreign persons or entities fall under export control, contact


Export Control Officer  208-282-2618

Foreign Travel

Collaborations & Agreements

Export Licensing

International Shipping and Purchasing

Requesting Restricted Party Screen

ISU Export Control Manual