Skip to main content

Credit Evaluation

How will my previous coursework transfer to ISU?

  • Transfer courses are evaluated on a course-by-course basis.
  • Baccalaureate level credits from a regionally accredited institution are transferable.
  • Transfer grades are converted to the appropriate grade at ISU with a proceeding T (TA, TC, etc). and do not affect the ISU GPA.

Course Review Process

Course reviews are only done from official transcripts for current admitted degree seeking students.

  • ISU transfer evaluation specialists do an initial course evaluation to determine course equivalencies.
  • Students are notified by email once a course evaluation has been completed.
  • Coursework that initially transfers to ISU as elective credit can be reviewed by the ISU home department, once the student initiates the review process with their academic advisor. 
  • If you are unsure who your academic advisor is, contact ISU's Central Academic Advising office.   

Where do I send my transcripts?

  • All official transcripts must be sent to ISU directly from the issuing institution.
  • For electronic official transcripts, please send to
  • We accept official electronic transcripts through: Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, Escrip-Safe
  • For official transcripts sent by mail,

Please mail official transcripts directly to:

Office of the Registrar
Idaho State University
921 S. 8th Ave
Mail Stop 8196
Pocatello, ID 83209-8196


Transfer Course Policies

  • ISU currently follows a semester hour credit system.  
  • Transfer credit hour values are based on the credit hour value assigned by the originating institution.
  • All credits earned on a system other than semester hour will be converted.  
  • Credits are transferred to Idaho State University at the level earned at the institution of origin.
  • Transferred lower division (1000-2000 level) credit MAY NOT count as upper division (3000-4000) credit regardless of the appropriate course equivalencies.
  • Where there is a question as to whether transferred courses satisfy specific departmental requirements, the head of the department concerned will make the interpretation.


Awarding of Credit from Non-Regionally Accredited Institutions

The process for considering possible transfer credits and recognizing undergraduate degrees granted by non-regionally accredited colleges and universities is as follows:

The student must petition the appropriate academic department at Idaho State Univeristy.  In addition to formal evaluation of the request, the department may require competency verification.

In the petition, the student must explain how s/he wishes to deviate from university policy. 



Course Transcript Key

  • "T" before a grade means transfer grades
  • Direct equivalencies are denoted using the ISU course number.
  • Elective courses will display with the equivalent ISU subject code followed by a course with "XXX"
  • The 1st digit of the transfer course number denotes the level of the course
    • Remedial=00
    • Prof/Tech=0
    • Freshman=1
    • Sophmore=2
    • Junior=3
    • Senior=4


(Example Only) Fall 2012: Coffee College

Subject Course Title Grade Credits Transferred as 
ENGL 1101 English Composition TS 3  Equivalent to ISU ENGL 1101
HIST 3XXX Chai Tea Since 1920 TB 3  Elective Upper Division credit
COMM 2XXX Cold Brew Literacy TA 3  Elective Lower Division credit
PNUR 01XX Whole Bean Practices TB 3  Elective Professional Technical credit
MATH 00XX Variables of Double Mocha TS 3  Remedial course (not college level credit)

** Only Undergraduate coursework is evaluated

**For Graduate credit, please contact ISU's Graduate School





921 South 8th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho, 83209
(208) 282-4636

Discover opportunity at Idaho State University