Standing Purchase Orders
What is a Standing Purchase Order?
A Standing Purchase Order is the method for placing reoccurring orders which will require multiple payments over a period of time. Some examples are: maintenance/service contracts, auto parts for transportation department from a specific vendor.
When to use:
- The goods or services are reoccurring purchases.
- The order involves variable dollar amounts and/or quantities.
- The goods or services on an order may change over time.
- The maximum order amount may need to be adjusted over time.
- The order has specific contract start and end dates.
How to request a Standing Purchase Order
With a few minor exceptions, Standing Orders are entered into Banner just like any other Requisition.
Login to Banner and open FPAREQN
Enter Requestor/Delivery Information
- Tab through the Order Date and Transaction Date fields (these default to the current date)
- In the Delivery Date field enter "30-June-2017" (or current Fiscal Year end or other applicable end date for the Standing Order) and Block Next
- Requestor name and Organization should populate automatically. If it doesn't, contact Arian Cannon in IT.
- Tab to enter Email, Phone and Fax information (the 7-digit phone and/or fax numbers should NOT include any dashes).
- Tab to Ship To and enter your "ship to" code or click the arrow to execute a search; this delivery code is normally your site location (PCR-Pocatello, M-Meridian, TF-Twin Falls).
- Tab to Attention To field and enter who the item will be delivered to/building/room/phone extension. ie. John Doe/10/114/x1234
- Next Block
Enter Vendor Information
- If you know the vendor ID, type the vendor ID in the first field by Vendor.
- If you do NOT know the vendor ID, click on the search button. In the Last Name field, enter a "%" (wildcard) sign and the first few letters or word of the vendor's name followed by a "%" (wildcard) sign.
- Press F8 to Execute the Query
REMEMBER, this search screen is CASE SENSITIVE. If, for example, you had entered the vendor’s name in all caps “%APPLE%”, the search would have returned nothing and the following message would appear at the bottom of the screen: “Query caused no records to be retrieved. Re-enter”.
SEARCH TIPS: The wildcards “%” and “_” can be used in the search criteria for Banner queries. The character “%” represents any number of unspecified characters. The character “_” represents one occurrence of an unspecified character. The following examples illustrate the use of wildcards:
- Highlight the correct ID Number from the list
- Double click on the ID of the vendor you wish to select and the vendor contact information (address, phone, etc.) will populate into your Requisition.
- Check the vendor’s address for accuracy
- If the vendor’s address is incorrect, click the search arrow next to the Sequence field to check for alternate addresses
- If the correct address is found, double click the Address Type and it will populate the address selected into the Requisition.
- If the appropriate vendor address is not listed, reference the proper contact information in the Requisition’s Document Text and request that your Buyer correct the address on the Purchase Order.
Enter a NEW Vendor...
- Leave the Vendor number field blank
- Tab to enter the new vendor’s NAME in the second Vendor field
Information for New Vendors:
- From the Options menu, select Document Text.
- Block Next to enter the COMPLETE new vendor information.
- NEW vendor information should include:
- Vendor Name
- Phone number
- Vendor contact person
- Email address
NOTE: A current signed W-9 and Vendor Registration Form (VRF) must be on file for all vendors. For new vendors, the W-9 and VRF should be provided to the Purchasing Department, Buyers@isu.edu. Please include Requisition number in your email.
- Uncheck the Print box when entering the new vendor information in Document Text since it is an internal note to your Buyer and should NOT print on the Purchase Order.
Text to enter on all Standing Orders:
- "Standing Order for the period: (enter start date) - July 1, 20XX" The date must always end in the current fiscal year.
- If the Standing Order is replacing a PO from the previous year, type "Replaces POXXXXX". If you leave this off of your Requisition it can prolong the Purchase Order process.
- Type in "Not to exceed $X,XXX"
- Check the Print box when entering the Standing Order information in Document Text since it is something that needs to be printed on the Purchase Order
When you've entered everything needed in Document Text:
- Click on the Save icon (or press F10).
- To close the Document Text screen, click on the Exit icon “X” (or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + Q).
- Next Block.
Enter Commodity/Accounting Information
- Click the Search button below Commodity. From the Option List that appears, select Commodity Validation. Enter Query to search (press F7). The form is cleared, and you can enter your search terms. When you locate the correct code, double-click it. This returns you to the Commodity/Accounting block of your requisition.
- Tab to Unit of Measure (U/M) and enter measurement type.
- Tab over to Qty. Standing Orders will always have a Qty of 1.
- Tab over to Unit Price. Enter in the estimated cost during the duration of your Standing Order.
- Continue to tab until your curser is back in the Commodity field.
- Block Next
Your are now in the FOAPAL block. This block is used to assign expenses to the correct FOAPALs.
- Tab to the Index Field. The ISU Chart of Accounts (COA) code “9” and the current fiscal year will default. Do not change. Enter the appropriate Index Code. Important: You will only be able to use the Index Codes which have been assigned to you.
- When you put in an Index Code, Banner will auto populate the Fund, Orgn, Acct, and Prog.
- Continue to Tab until your curser returns to the COA.
- If your splitting costs, Arrow Down and repeat the process above.
- You can NOT use % method for splitting funds on a Standing Order. Use the Dollar method.
Complete Standing Order Request
- Make note of the Requisition number
- Click on the green button to Complete