Motor Vehicle Theft
- You should always secure your vehicle, even if you are parking for “just a minute”.
- Remove the keys from the ignition, lock all of the doors, and close windows completely when parking the vehicle.
- Park in a well-lit area, when possible.
- Never leave the engine running and vehicle unlocked while running into a residence, a convenience store, or anywhere else.
- Do not keep the title to your vehicle inside the vehicle.
- Keep a written record of all personal valuables, including descriptions and serial numbers. It is evidence that the property is yours.
- If someone threatens you with a gun or other weapon, give up your vehicle. Do not argue. Your life is definitely worth more than a vehicle. Note the descriptions of any suspicious persons and write down the license plate numbers of any suspicious vehicles. Immediately contact Public Safety or the local police.
- Always be aware of your surroundings when approaching your vehicle.
- Do not leave vehicle keys in your residence or office doors.