- Avoid confrontations whenever possible.
- If you are faced with a situation that could possibly get violent, walk away or call Public Safety. If you stay and fight "to prove something," you will only demonstrate poor judgment in almost every instance.
- Try to resolve contentious situations in a civil manner. If faced with a situation that could become confrontational, involve a third party as a possible mediator.
- Avoid excessive drinking, or if you have been drinking, recognize its impact on your judgment. Alcohol is a contributing factor in many assaults.
- If you see an assault in progress, call Public Safety or the local police immediately. Do not jump into the fray, unless it is a last resort to prevent more serious injury.