Rave Guardian Safety App
In an ongoing effort to maintain a safe and secure campus environment, Idaho State University utilizes the Rave Guardian Safety App. This FREE mobile app is available on all of our campuses and allows users to:
- Set a safety timer to notify designated guardians if they are alone, or in an unfamiliar location.
- Use the emergency call button can send a notification to Public Safety with one click, providing the user's information and GPS location.
- Send a text or photo content directly to Public Safety if they witness something suspicious on campus.
- Access a campus director to easily connect with campus resources.
- Review valuable safety information and resources.
NOTE: Faculty, staff, and students are not required to use the Rave Mobile Guardian App. Public Safety is available 24/7 by calling (208) 282-2515. App users should call 911 for emergencies that occur off campus.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Rave Guardian track me?
- Rave Guardian makes your profile information and location (if you have enabled the location service) available to Public Safety if you make an emergency call or send a tip. However, it cannot be used to locate you without your knowledge.
- If you select Public Safety as a guardian for a safety timer, your profile information and location are also made available to Public Safety if your safety timer session expires.
Is Rave Guardian always tracking me?
- No. Your privacy is of the utmost importance. You can only be located if you have asked for help. Rave Guardian is only enabled when you choose to make an emergency call, send a tip or when your safety timer expires.
Can Public Safety track me whenever they want?
- No. Public Safety will only be able to obtain your information if you have asked for help. Rave Guardian is only activated when you choose to activate it on your smartphone.
How does my profile information get collected and sent to Public Safety?
- You will opt in to this service and provide as much information as you would like as part of the registration process.
- To maximize the full benefit of this service, your user profile should contain a current photo and accurate self-description. The more information you provide in your profile, the easier it will be for Public Safety to locate you, if necessary. Any information in your personal profile will only be viewed by Public Safety if you make an emergency call, send a tip, or if Public Safety is your guardian when your safety timer session expires.
- Personal profile information will be treated as confidential information.
Is my Rave Guardian profile secure?
- Yes. Rave Mobile Safety (the provider of Rave Guardian) uses the latest in security technologies and processes to ensure that all of your information is kept secure and private. Rave also undergoes regular security audits to ensure the information security of data.
Will I be exposed to spam messages and advertisements?
- No. Your cell phone will receive a text message that provides you with a confirmation number indicating that your cell phone has been registered. No other advertisements or spam will be sent to your cell phone from Rave Guardian.
Are the tips sent through Rave Guardian anonymous?
- No. Your name, phone number and profile are displayed to Public Safety when you send a tip through the Rave Guardian app.
- To report a crime or incident anonymously, you can use our online Anonymous Reporting form.
Is Public Safety notified every time my timer expires?
No. Public Safety is only notified of your timer expiring if you have selected ISU Public Safety to be your guardian, either as the primary guardian or secondary guardian.
What can I do if someone forces me to turn off my timer?
Rave Guardian includes a false deactivation code to alert Public Safety, which is one number higher than your PIN. For example, if your PIN is 1234, you may enter 1235. Rave Guardian will appear to turn off normally, but ISU Public Safety will be alerted. Please refer to your Rave Guardian profile page under the "Learn More" tab.
What if I forget to turn my timer off?
When using the timer, the user receives a reminder message at 5 minutes and 1 minute before expiring. If it expires, a call goes active immediately to your chosen guardian(s), and they can call your cell phone.
If Public Safety is your chosen guardian, the call also displays the PIN used to set the timer, and Public Safety Dispatch can verify if the person on the phone is the registered user or is in distress.
Can I change my cell phone number?
If you change your cell phone number, you should log into your Rave Guardian account and update your profile with your new number. You will not be asked to create a new profile. However, this is the perfect time to review your existing information, and confirm the remainder of the information is up to date.
Does Rave Guardian work with all cell phone providers?
The basic profile features of Rave Guardian work on any iPhone or Android smartphone running on any U.S.-based mobile carrier network with the app installed on it.
Rave Guardian can locate most smartphone devices on the AT&T, Sprint and Verizon networks.
Rave Guardian works with most smartphones, on practically any carrier. If Rave Guardian cannot determine your phone's location, all other profile information will be made available to Public Safety when you use RAVE Guardian.
Can certain factors affect the accuracy of the carrier reported location?
Yes. Factors include, but are not limited to:
- Calling from inside a building or a "dead spot"
- The strength of your cell signal
- If your phone is GPS enabled
- The type and quality of your phone
- Carrier and signal
If possible, you should provide detailed location information via text or voice. This will enable Public Safety personnel to reach you quickly when Rave Guardian is activated.
Will I be able to use Rave Guardian if I do not have cell service?
Yes. RAVE Guardian will also work with Wi-Fi. However, the features are limited.
You will still be able to send a tip or use the safety timer. However, when you make an emergency call, a voice call will not be placed, but your profile information and general location will be made available to Public Safety.
The call 911 feature in the app works only with cell phone service.