Before a Severe Storm
Possible meteorological phenomena affecting this geographical area
- Winter Storm
- High Winds/Tornadoes
Listen to the latest National Weather Service warnings and bulletins on radio and television or call Public Safety at ext. 2515 or 282-2515 when off campus.
During a Severe Storm
During a Winter Storm
- Should conditions worsen during the day, the administration may decide to close the University early.
- When such a determination is made, you will be notified through the ISU Alerts: Emergency Notification System.
- You can also call 282-3936 for snow closure information.
- If roads leading to your home have been closed, do not attempt to go home.
- If you are unable to go home, contact your supervisor, Public Safety, or Student Affairs. They will notify the Incident Command personnel of the situation and arrangements for sleeping will be made.
During a Flood
- When a flash flood watch is issued in your area, call Public Safety at 282-2515 for more information. If flooding is likely and time permits, move essential items and furniture to upper floors of your building.
- Move to a safe area before access is cut off by flood waters.
- Stay on high ground; avoid areas subject to sudden flooding.
- Do not attempt to cross through an area of flowing water if it is above your knees.
- Do not attempt to drive over a flooded road; you could become stranded and trapped.
- If your vehicle stalls while traveling through the predicted pathway of the flood, abandon it immediately and seek higher ground. Many people drown while trying to rescue their car.
During a Tornado
- When it has been determined that a tornado does exist and it is heading toward campus, have all occupants move to the lower areas in your building.
- The areas that would be utilized as fallout shelters will also provide protection during a tornado.
- Stay away from windows.
- Doors and windows on the side away from the tornado may be opened to help reduce damage to the building.
- Keep calm. Even though a warning has been issued, the chance of a tornado striking your building or location is slight.
After a Severe Storm
- Check for injuries. Do not attempt to move seriously injured persons unless they are in immediate danger of further injury.
- Immediately report any smoke or fire you see within your building to Public Safety at 282-2515.
- Do Not drink any water from the area until it has been tested by health officials.
- Do not handle live electrical equipment in wet areas. Electrical equipment should be checked and dried thoroughly before being returned to service.
- To examine buildings, use flashlights, not lanterns or torches; flammables from broken containers or ruptured gas lines may be inside. Report broken utility lines to Public Safety.
- Should major damage have occurred to the campus, it is most likely the telephone lines will be inoperative. If it can be done safely send a messenger on foot to Public Safety, Building 27, 625 E. Humbolt.
- Public Safety will advise you as to when and how to initiate restoration efforts.
Public Safety: (208) 282-2911 | Parking: (208) 282-2625
Bengal Card Services: (208) 282-3618