In The Event of a Power Outage
All Exits and windows of campus facilities are required to have emergency lighting.
Emergency lights contain battery packs that are continuously charged during normal building operations. In the event of a power failure, the emergency lighting systems automatically turn on.
With the increased use of campus facilities during evening hours it would be advisable to have a flashlight and portable radio with spare batteries available for emergencies.
In The Event of a Large Scale Power Outage
- Remain Calm.
- Immediately notify Maintenance(ext. 2694) during regular working hours (Monday-Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm).
- If there is potential danger to building occupants or the power failure occurs after hours, or on weekends or holidays immediately notify Public Safety (ext. 2515).
- Follow directions provided through Public Safety and/or the ISU Alerts Notification System.
- Secure vital equipment, records, experiments, and hazardous materials if safe to do so.
- Store all chemicals in their original or marked containers and fully open all fume hoods. If this is not possible, or natural ventilation is not adequate, evacuate the area until power is restored.
- Do not light candles or other types of flames for lighting.
- Unplug electrical equipment, including computers, and turn off the lights.