Event Planning Strategic Questions
Considering these questions will help ensure your event is effective and successful:
- What are the primary goals of this event?
- Is an event the best way to accomplish your goals? What type of event best suits your needs? (Reception, open house, dinner, press conference, ribbon cutting, etc.)
- What is the value/ROI of this event to the University?
- Is there another campus unit you can partner with? Units across campus often have the same goals, so partnering can be an opportunity to get more mileage out of event resources. Is there a local business who might be interested in sponsoring your event or being involved in another way?
In order for events to be effective, you need to set clear goals early in the process. Broad-based goals are harder to accomplish and difficult to evaluate, so set specific, measurable and well-defined goals. Below are some things to consider when setting goals:
- Who is your target audience? Is your event open to the public or by invitation only? This will affect details such as how you promote the event and the venue you select.
- What is your main objective?
- What message do you want to convey? Events are opportunities to tell a story. Think about what story you want to tell and what impression you want to leave on your guests.