Albion State Normal School
Scope and Content
The Albion State Normal School Records comprise approximately 36 linear feet of correspondence, files, ledgers, cards and other miscellaneous documents. They were received by Idaho State College (later Idaho State University) in 1959. The records are arranged alphabetically and/or chronologically. During the processing procedure, standard folders were replaced with archival folders and the materials were then transferred into ninety-one document boxes that divided the records into six orderly series or segments.
The records primarily cover the time period from about 1894 to about 1952.
The first series of records, fifteen boxes, contain typescript copies of minutes, from 1921 to 1951, of the Idaho State Board of Education meetings which were held in various places within the state.
The second series of records, six boxes, is a collection of faculty records, beginning in 1934, of the Albion State Normal School, primarily grade books of students. These records are arranged chronographically and many of the files within the series are arranged alphabetically by the instructor's name.
The third series of records, which comprises the bulk of the collection, that is fifty-eight boxes, are files from the Registrar's Office. These include individual student files, class schedule cards, matriculation cards and records that documented the courses and grades of students. Also included in these files may be letters written to the Registrar concerning previous schoolwork or life experience that could be accepted at Albion. In addition, there are two large card catalog systems of report cards from 1904 to 1920 and enrollment cards from 1918 to 1944.
The fourth series of records, seven boxes, is composed of grade transcripts and some letters of recommendation from high schools, colleges or universities that were requested by the Albion State Normal School, in behalf of students. These records were not returned to or retrieved by the individual students at the closing of the school; they cover the entire time period of the school operations.
The fifth series of records, fourteen boxes, is comprised of a wide variety of materials. Included are schedules, reports, correspondence, programs, prepared graduation certificates, course catalogs, ledger books, rosters and bulletins. These records are from the 1890s to the late 1950s, when they were sent to Pocatello.
The sixth series of records, a single box, is comprised of items that do not necessarily fit in any of the other series of records, but are deemed to be of historical importance within the context of the Albion State Normal School.
|1893||Act of Idaho Legislature creates Albion State Normal School, March 7th.
Five acres deeded to State of Idaho by Josiah E. Miller as initial property of the Albion State Normal School, April 14th.
First Albion State Normal School building constructed using volunteer labor and local materials.
|1894||Albion State Normal School opens with a student body of twenty-six, September 11th.|
|1894 - 1897||Frank A. Swanger appointed as President of Albion State Normal School.|
|1896||Swanger Hall - Administration Building constructed.|
|Emersonian Society, a student literary and debate organization, founded. Society dissolved in 1933.|
|1897 - 1902||J. C. Black appointed as President of Albion State Normal School.|
|1897||Philomathean Society, a counterpoint to the Emersonian Society, founded, October. Society dissolved in 1933.|
|1901||Miller Hall, a dormitory for men, completed.|
|1902 - 1904||Horace Ellis appointed as President of Albion State Normal School.|
|1904 - 1920||George A. Axline appointed as President of Albion State Normal School.|
|1905||Hansen Hall, living quarters for female faculty, completed.|
|1907||Training School completed, summer.|
|1911||Senate Education Committee presents report to abolish Albion School, February 28th.|
|1914||Axline Gymnasium, in honor of President George. A. Axline, completed.|
|1917||Failed attempt in Idaho Senate to move Normal School operation to Pocatello.|
|1918||Commissioner of Education urges Governor Davis to relocate Albion School, May 1st.
Comish Hall, a dormitory for female students, completed.
|1920 - 1932||Clarence E. Bocock appointed as President of Albion State Normal School.|
|1926||Comish Hall expanded.|
|1927||New enlarged administration/library building constructed.|
|1929||McMurray Hall, a dormitory for men, completed.|
|1930||President's Home constructed, November.|
|1933 - 1951||Raymond H. Snyder appointed as President of Albion State Normal School.|
|1938||Miller Hall remodeled.|
|1939||Highest yearly number of student enrollments recorded.|
|1941||Hansen Hall remodeled.|
|1943||Administration Building renamed Bocock Memorial Hall in honor of President Clarence E. Bocock, June.|
|1946||George Peabody College for Teachers releases its report, "Public Education in Idaho," to the Education Survey Commission, urging the closure of Albion State Normal School, October 22nd.|
|1947||Swanger Hall burns to the ground in early morning fire, July 19th. Temporary buildings shipped from former Prisoner of War camp near Rupert.|
|1947||Name of Albion State Normal School changed to Southern Idaho College of Education.|
|1951||Last Commencement Ceremony of Southern Idaho College of Education held, May 29th.
Educational program responsibilities transferred to Idaho State College in Pocatello.
|1958||Campus re-opened as Magic Valley Christian College, a private liberal arts college, September 8th. This facility closed in 1969.|
|1959||Records of Albion State Normal School inventoried at Idaho State College, October.|