Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University

F Visa Status

Students may obtain an F-1 visa stamp by visiting a U.S. embassy or consulate and presenting a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility) issued by Idaho State University.

F-1 students are expected to attend the educational institution that issued the Form I-20.

Any student transferring from another U.S. educational institution to Idaho State on the F-1 visa must consult his/her international student advisor at his/her educational institution for a transfer release before an I-20 can be issued by Idaho State University.

Length of stay in the United States:

F-1 students will be granted permission to remain in the United States until the completion date noted on the Form I-20 plus 60 days provided they remain enrolled full-time and meet all other terms and conditions of their F-1 status. It may be possible to apply for I-20 extensions if necessary.

Accompanying family members:

The F-2 visa stamp is issued to the spouse and/or children (under age 21) of an F-1 student. It may be obtained by presenting to a U.S. consulate the Forms I-20 issued to each family member and proof of adequate funding for the support of the accompanying family members.

Proof of marriage for spouses and birth certificates for children are also required. No paid employment is permitted for F-2 visa holders under any circumstances.

It is critical that students in F visa status "maintain status" by complying with specific federal government regulations. Please review the SEVIS information.