Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University

B Visa Waiver Status

The B-1 visa is for a visitor coming to the United States for a short-term visit for business purposes and the B-2 visa is for short-term visits for pleasure or tourism.

Citizens of a limited number of countries are permitted to visit the United States for up to 90 days without a B-1/B-2 visa stamp under the Visa Waiver Program. Neither is appropriate for students and scholars coming to Idaho State University.

Those entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program cannot change to another non-immigrant visa status and may remain in the United States for a maximum of three months. There are no exceptions to this regulation.

There is no paid employment permitted on the B-1/B-2 visa or Visa Waiver Program, although it may be possible to receive reimbursement for expenses or an honorarium.

Since June 26, 2005, individuals visiting the U.S. using the “Visa Waiver Program” have been required to possess machine readable passports.

Individuals who do not have passports that meet the current passport requirements, as of October 2006, may not enter the U.S. using the Visa Waiver Program. These individuals must apply to a U.S. embassy or consulate for a B Visitors Visa.