ISU Shines at Idaho Conference on Undergraduate Research
At the July 2019 Idaho Conference on Undergraduate Research (ICUR), Idaho State University faculty, staff, and students were heavily present. Sixty-six ISU students presented posters. Among those were students mentored by faculty of the Kasiska Division of Health Sciences, including:
- Julianne Nguyen, Dr. Cynthia Blanton (Mentor). Quantifying Herb and Spice Intake.
- Marcos A. Cervantes, Molly E. Vitale Sullivan, Frank Gigray, LJ McKenzie, Dr. Danny Xu (Mentor) Dr. John H. Thurston (Mentor), Dr. Ken Cornell (Mentor). Development of a Facile CuAAC-based Strategy for the Synthesis and Characterization of Novel Non-hydrolyzable Inhibitors of the Enzyme 5’-methylthiadenosinenucleosidase.
- Libna S. Lauevanos, Tyler Smith, LJ Mckenzie, Dr. John H. Thurston (Mentor), Dr. Danny Xu (Mentor). Development of Novel Drugs to Treat Amoebic Dysentery by Inhibition of Entamoeba histolytica MTA Nucleoside.
ISU-Meridian Faculty Awarded NIH Training Grant
A group of ISU-Meridian faculty from numerous health disciplines are working together with the help of professional mentors to enhance the experience for students learning to care for patients with cancer. The team was selected to participate in the Interprofessional Education Exchange (iPEX) project for 2019-2020. The iPEX training course is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute, one of the National Institutes of Health.
The program is designed to support the development of IPE in cancer care. The group will address the palliative care learning needs of students, rural community members and practicing clinicians across the state. The group is made up of the following faculty:
- Susan Tavernier, PhD (nursing)
- Barbara Mason, PharmD (pharmacy)
- Logan Lamprecht, PhD (counseling)
- Barbara Gordon, MBA, RDN, LD, FAND (dietetics)
- Shauna Smith, MS, CCC-SLP (speech/language pathology)