Historical Thinking Objectives
The Department of History has developed the following objectives as a guide to the design of the undergraduate major and the outcomes for specific courses.
We use this list to review the department’s course offerings to make sure that the students have adequate opportunities to develop toward these goals.
- Explain historical developments and events in their global contexts.
- Identify regions as historical entities, how they are connected, and how they have changed over time.
- Interpret individual and collective actions in historical contexts.
- Analyze primary and secondary sources and develop interpretations.
- Develop and present historical interpretations in writing and in oral presentations.