Graduate Program Objectives
The Department of History has developed the following objectives as a guide to the design of the graduate degree program and the outcomes for specific courses.
We use this list to review the department’s course offerings to make sure that the students have adequate opportunities to develop toward these goals.
M.A. students will:
- Understand major trends, theories, and approaches in the field of History;
- Analyze and synthesize ongoing scholarly conversations in History and situate their arguments and projects in these contexts;
- Understand the range of digital resources available to historians and be able to use their chosen resources in producing and presenting research;
- Define, research, and complete a significant research project within History studies, and be able to describe and justify their project in written and presentation formats;
- Apply their historical learning to work in professionally-related academic, nonprofit, or business-sector contexts.