News items from ISU Marketing and Communications
Academy of Idaho images now available online at ISU Oboler Library
May, 5, 2016
POCATELLO – Idaho State University’s Special Collections and Archives at the Oboler Library now features a digital, online collection of images from the Academy of Idaho.
This project was completed by Matthew Bingman, an intern from ISU’s Department of History during the 2016 spring semester.
Photographs and postcards have been digitized, and the library is asking the public’s help with identifying people and dates, by tagging the images and/or leaving appropriate comments.
The collection is part of ISU’s University Archives photograph collection, which consists of thousands of images and negatives depicting the University.
On Feb. 25, 1901, the Idaho State Legislature passed a bill drafted by Sen. Theodore F. Turner from Pocatello entitled, “An Act to establish and maintain a school to be called the Academy of Idaho at Pocatello.”
Four blocks of land adjacent to each other on the southeast side of Pocatello were donated by the community for the new school. By the opening bell on Sept. 22, 1902, construction of the main building, later named Swanson Hall, was completed. Forty students were enrolled and four teachers were present at the beginning of the first academic year, with a total of 70 students enrolled during the term. By the third year of operation, student enrollment was 122 and faculty had increased to six.
A men’s dormitory, Faris Hall, was completed in 1903; in 1906, a women’s dormitory was finished, construction of a mechanical arts building was nearly completed, and in 1907 an infirmary was constructed.
To view the collection, visit http://cdm16942.contentdm.oclc.org/. To subscribe and receive updates go to the RSS feed on the homepage of the collection.
For more information contact Special Collections at email@example.com.