Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP)

The Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) makes high-quality, distinctive graduate programs and healthcare-related programs available to students of the West at the resident tuition rate.

As part of the Student Exchange Program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, WRGP helps place students in a wide range of graduate programs, all designed around the educational, social, and economic needs of the West.

Through WRGP, residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming are eligible to enroll in available programs outside of their home state at resident tuition rates. Students need not demonstrate financial need.

To be included in WRGP, programs must meet the criteria of distinctiveness (if they are not related to healthcare) and quality. Programs are nominated by their institutions, peer-reviewed by other graduate institutions in the West, and then researched and reviewed by WICHE staff for final approval. At this time, some 250 programs from more than 45 Western institutions participate. A full list of WRGP programs is on the WRGP website.

To be considered for the WRGP tuition rate, students simply apply directly to the department of the enrolling institution and identify themselves as WICHE WRGP applicants. Contact information for each participating program is listed in the WRGP online directory. WRGP students must fulfill all the usual requirements of the department and institution concerned, and meet all admission deadlines.

The following graduate programs at Idaho State University have been approved by WRGP:

College of Arts and Letters

English and Philosophy
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in English and the Teaching of English
Master of Arts (M.A.) in English

Master of Arts (M.A.) in History

Political Science
Doctor of Arts (D.A.) in Political Science

Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Clinical Psychology
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Experimental Psychology

College of Education

Organizational Learning and Performance
Master of Science (MS) in Human Resource Development

Sport Science and Physical Education
Master of Physical Education (MPE/AA) in Athletic Administration
Master of Science (MS) in Athletic Training

Teaching and Educational Studies
Master of Science (MS) in Deaf Education

Kasiska Division of Health Sciences

Communication Sciences and Disorders
Doctor of Audiology (AuD)
Master of Science (MS) in Speech-Language Pathology

Master of Counseling (MCoun) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Master of Counseling (MCoun) in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling
Master of Counseling (MCoun) in School Counseling
Master of Counseling (MCoun) in Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling

Medical Laboratory Science
Master of Science (MS) in Medical Laboratory Science

Public Health
Master of Public Health (MPH)
Public Health Certificate

Nutrition and Dietetics 

Masters of Science (MS) in Nutrition 

Health Informatics

Masters of Science (MS) in Health Informatics

College of Science and Engineering

Biological Sciences
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Biology
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Microbiology
Doctor of Arts (DA) in Biology
Master of Science (MS) in Biology
Master of Science (MS) in Microbiology

Civil and Environmental Engineering
Master of Science (MS) in Environmental Science and Management

Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Doctor of Arts (DA) in Mathematics

Physics, Nuclear, and Electrical Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nuclear Science and Engineering
Master of Science (MS) in Nuclear Science and Engineering

For more information please visit the WRGP website.

Students: Discuss with your program director your WRGP eligibility.
Graduate Program Director/Chair: Collect names of all students enrolled in your WRGP eligible program. Submit the list of names to Weston Whitworth by July (Fall), November (Spring), April (Summer) or as soon as possible for students to receive the correct tuition invoice. Please include the student name, student ID, state of residency, and degree program.If you need a report for state of residency, the graduate admission office can provide one for you.