Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Non-Resident Tuition Waivers (NRTW)

Non-Resident Graduate Students: If you are being charged non-resident fees as a Graduate student, there are 4 ways in which you "may" be eligible to receive a Graduate Non-Resident Tuition Waiver (NRTW).

(1) Academic-Based Graduate NRTW:

Your application for admission to the ISU Graduate School serves as your "scholarship application" for a Graduate Non-Resident Tuition Waiver. As a Non-Resident Graduate Student, you will be automatically considered for the Graduate Non-Resident Tuition Waiver as long as you are admitted into a graduate program and meet the eligibility criteria below. Current or former graduate students must have a cumulative ISU GPA of 3.0 or greater to be considered. Graduate NRTWs will be awarded beginning June 15th for the upcoming academic year.  For students beginning their programs during the spring semester, NRTWs will be awarded beginning November 30th.  New award offers are sent each year to students who meet the eligibility criteria below and could benefit from a tuition waiver. All NRTWs are based on availability.

Eligibility Criteria:  

-A minimum 3.0 GPA is required for newly admitted or current/former ISU Graduate Students. GPA required "may" be higher (based on availability).

-Not in an Oversubscribed Program at ISU (per SBOE regulations). Oversubscribed Graduate Programs include: Speech Pathology; Nursing; Physician Assistant; Physical Therapy; Occupational Therapy. Students in programs that do not charge a non-resident fee are excluded.

-Must be a full-time Graduate Student. 9 Graduate Credits or greater.

-Students who are receiving a Graduate Assistantship (or other non-resident waivers) are also not eligible for the Academic NRTW as they are already receiving one.


Graduate NRTWs do not automatically renew, however students who meet the eligibility requirements will automatically be considered each year based on availability.

(2) Western Regional Graduate Program:

Graduate Students who are from the following states and programs are eligible for the Western Regional Graduate Program.  Please contact your department for more information.  Eligible states include:  Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, or Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands.   Eligible programs can be found by visiting Western Interstate Commision for Higher Education.

(3) Need-Based Graduate Non-Resident Tuition Waiver:  

To be considered for a need-based NRTW you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate year. Please submit this as early as possible.  Need-based waivers are given to students on a first-come basis to high-need students. Contact the ISU Financial Aid Office at (208) 282-2756 for more information.

(4) Graduate Assistantships:

Non-Resident students receiving Graduate Assistantships will automatically receive a Graduate NRTW as part of their assistantship.  Please contact your major department for more information.