August 21 & 22 ALSO Course
September 15 ERAS application opens
October 19 Applicant interviews begin
December 1 Deadline for ERAS applications
New Interns - Class of 2018
strong ISU FMR introduced our newest class of interns at the 2015 Graduation Ceremony. Welcome Interns! see more>>
Eligibility & Requirements
We accept only those applications transmitted via the Electronic Application Service (ERAS). Applications sent by other means will not be reviewed.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (No Visas or EADs)
- Medical School must be licensable in the state of Idaho. Check with your medical school or the Idaho State Board of Medicine to determine this information.
- No more than one (1) exam failure (USMLE and/or COMLEX).
- Have graduated from medical school no longer than three years ago.
- ERAS application form
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- Medical School Performance Evaluation
- USMLE / COMLEX Steps I, II, and CSA/PE score reports by February 15.
- All applications accepted through ERAS only. Applications that have been sent by other means will not be reviewed.
- All applications are reviewed by the faculty; however, we do not interview all applicants who submit applications.
- Our policy is to encourage physicians with education and training suitable for rural Idaho to apply.
- You must have passed the USMLE Part I or the COMLEX Part 1 and both the clinical knowledge and clinical skills exams of Part II.
- Our program does not offer observership/externship opportunities. Sub-I and Clerkship rotations are reserved for those students currently in medical school with whom we have a current affiliation agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do we accept foreign medical graduates?
You have to have graduated from a medical school that is licensable in the state of Idaho. Check with your medical school or the Idaho State Board of Medicine to determine this information.
Do we sponsor Visas?
It is very unlikely that we would be able to sponsor visas. Most of the foreign medical graduates in this program have permanent U.S. resident status or green cards.
Is there a minimum score requirement?
It is difficult to get an Idaho medical license if you have failed any exam twice. However, any passing score is acceptable.
Is there a limit to how much time can elapse after graduating from their medical school before applying to a residency or how many years out of medical school will we look at an applicant?
We would prefer you to have been in medical school within two years of your application date, and we would like to see that you have been engaged in pursuits that are related to medical care and practice.
What is the deadline for application?
The deadline is December 1, however, we would encourage you to get your application in by November 1, to have a good chance at an interview date.