ISU Animal Care and Use Risk Assessments
The EHS Department supports the Institutional Animal Care and Use committee/program by providing occupational health and safety resources. This includes facilitating and reviewing a Risk Assessment for each protocol.
The purpose of the IACUC Risk Assessment is to identify, evaluate, manage, and reduce potential health and safety risks associated with participant’s exposure to animals and other hazards. Completed and signed Risk Assessments are required prior to final approval of a protocol.
Steps for completing an IACUC Risk Assessment (RA)
- PI - Download the appropriate risk assessment form below.
- Name form using protocol number and PI last name
- Complete project information and list all participants.
- STEP 1 section: Identify potential and existing hazards:
- Check listed hazards that apply and add additional hazards not listed.
- Copy and paste hazards identified in STEP 1 to the hazards column of Risk Control and Actions table in STEP 2.
- Add Problem (what could happen if risk not controlled.)
- Add Control to be implemented.
- using PI knowledge/experience and from the IACUC Hazard Control Guidelines provided below.
- EHS OHS may contact PI for clarification and may edit the RA.