Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Education Virtual Mini-Conference
Organized by Idaho State College of Education Teaching and Educational Studies Department Faculty Members Dr. Shu-Yuan Lin and Dr. Esther Ntuli
Friday, October 30
Zoom link: bit.ly/TESMiniConference
Meeting ID: 996 6295 1568
The events that are happening in society today are fueling so many questions about diversity, equity, and inclusion in young children and young adults. Their questions could be answered by teachers as they teach and model appropriate strategies for diversity, equity, and inclusion. What this three terms-diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to one workplace or working community may differ from another. Future teachers need to learn to navigate diversity, equity, and inclusion issues in their classrooms and school community and prepare students who are adaptable to the changing environment where diversity is not only embraced but become a lived experience. There are a lot of ideas and strategies teacher candidates can learn from in-service teachers and other professional educators. One of the best ways to share ideas and get inspiration is through conferences. The Teaching and Educational Studies department at Idaho State University is inviting you to share your knowledge and strategies on diversity, equity, and inclusion in education. Recommendations during the conference will be made to the Idaho State Teacher Educator Preparation Program and Idaho State Diversity Resource Center.
- Teacher candidates will be able to integrate cultural diversity in their teaching to promote student learning in P-12 learning environments.
- To appreciate cultural diversity on the ISU campus, Pocatello Community, and Larger Society.
- To promote an inclusive and welcoming environment for all community members.
- To provide a platform for ISU teacher candidates to share their concerns, challenges, and strategies about diversity in the classroom.
Call for proposals is open until September 30th, 2020
Proposal Submission Instructions:
- Please download and complete the Proposal for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Virtual Mini-Conference document
- Upload and submit your proposal
- Email your questions to Dr. Shu-Yuan Lin at email@example.com or Dr. Esther Ntuli at firstname.lastname@example.org
Possible Presentation Topics
- Cultural awareness (How to promote cultural awareness in the classroom, workplace, community, etc.)
- Cultural Identity
- Cultural Influence (on Learning)
- Culture, Motivation, and Success
- Acculturation: Challenges and Opportunities
- Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Equity, Equality, and Ethics in Schools
- Equitable Grading and Assessments
- Ethical issues in P-12 education
- Classroom management in diverse classrooms
- English language learners/culturally linguistically diverse students
- Online learning and diverse learners
- Curricular access and academic success for diverse learners
- Language integration into Content
- Promoting language development for English language learners
- Teacher’s/Professional educator’s cultural competence
- Providing safe learning environments for diverse students
- Assimilation, Adaptation, Integration
- Personal diversity experience and its impact on personal and professional development
- Classroom Practical Strategies for promoting Inclusion, diversity, and/or equity