Ideas for a Sprout Sandwich
There is no wrong way to make a sprout sandwich. Here is an idea from our student, Beth Hickey. She calls this creation the Rainbow Veggie Sandwich.
Makes 1 sandwich
- 2 slices whole wheat or whole grain bread
- 6 slices sliced cucumber
- 4 carrot ribbons, made with a peeler
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 rings finely sliced red onion
- 6 slices of finely sliced red pepper
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 2 slices cheese
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup of alfalfa sprouts
- salt and pepper to season
- Lightly toast the bread slices, then lay them on a cutting board.
- Spread the hummus on one slice of the bread, then lay the avocado slices on top.
- One the second slice of bread- layer the cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, carrot, tomatoes, and cheese.
- Next, add on the alfalfa sprouts and season with salt and pepper.
- Flip the slice of bread with hummus and avocado to top off your sandwich. Using a sharp knife, gently press down on either side to cut the sandwich in half.
- The best step- eat and enjoy!