8 week course
Sponsored by ISU Counseling and Testing Service
Jen Miesch, Ph.D. and Kristin Stewart Yates, Ph.D.
MSC Trained Teachers
April 13th-June 8th 2020
Portneuf Sangha and Meditation Center, 424 W. Lewis St., Pocatello
Idaho State University continues to monitor the COVID-19 outbreak, and the safety and well-being of our entire community is our top priority. The University is strictly following guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and state and local public health officials. Due to these guidelines, the Mindful Self-Compassion course has been canceled.
Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) is an evidenced based, 8-week training program designed to cultivate the skill of self-compassion to promote a sense of emotional wellbeing. Based on the research of Kristin Neff and the clinical expertise of Christopher Germer, MSC teaches core principles and practices that enable participants to respond to difficult moments in their lives with kindness, care, and understanding. This program uses mindful awareness, connection with others, and self-kindness to promote health and wellbeing in participants.
MSC is generally a compassion training. MSC is not psychotherapy. The emphasis is on building emotional resources and not on reviewing or otherwise addressing personal challenges specifically. Positive change can occur as we develop the capacity to be with ourselves in a kinder, more compassionate way.
In the MSC workshop you will learn to:
- Understand and practice key components of mindfulness and self-compassion
- The science of self-compassion
- Learn the practice of Loving Kindness
- Motivate yourself with kindness rather than criticism
- Understand your core values
- Meet difficult emotions with a greater sense of ease
- Explore challenging relationships and address caregiver fatigue
The course includes:
- Eight weekly classes. Each class will include experiential mindfulness and self-compassion practices, informational topics, reflective activities, and group discussion.
- One half-day retreat for deepening your mindfulness practice
- The Mindful Self-Compasion Workbook by Kristin Neff and Chris Germer
- Course Handbook
- A certificate of completion (by attending at least 80% of the course)
- 20 CE units for paid professionals
$160 for 8 sessions, 2.5 hours each. A 1/2 day retreat and MSC workbook ($20 value) is included in the fee. Currently enrolled ISU students can attend the workshop at no cost however will be expected to purchase their own workbook.
Continuing Education Units
If you are interested in Continuing Education Units for mental health licenses, you can receive 20 CE's for the price of $240 (includes workbook).
Due to the ongoing health concerns of COVID-19, the Mindful Self-Compassion course has been canceled. If you have already registered for the course, one of the instructors will be in touch with you and your money will be refunded.
Call Jen or Kristin for questions (208) 282-2130