ISU Counseling and Testing Service (CATS) Single Session Program located in campus recreation
Single Session hours vary. Visits are by appointment only - Please call for an appointment: (208) 282-2130
Meet with a counselor for a one-time session to discuss a current problem or concern. The counselor will help you clarify your concern and work with you to develop skills and strategies to create a personalized action plan. This is a free service for currently enrolled ISU students. Single Session appointments are NOT crisis counseling.
Make a Single Session Appointment if you...
- are NOT in crisis
- have a problem or concern and are interested in a single conversation with a professional who will work with you to create an action plan that day
- are NOT interested in ongoing counseling services
- do NOT have a CATS counselor currently
- have been in counseling at CATS in the past, but are currently only interested in a one-time session with a counselor to figure out a current problem
Walk in to Counseling & Testing if you...
- are in crisis and are struggling with one or more of the following:
- thoughts of suicide
- thoughts of harming others
- Worried that someone's life is in danger
- have experienced a traumatic event that is affecting your daily functioning
- are interested in: brief individual therapy, group therapy, relationship counseling, biofeedback services
- are currently receiving services from a CATS counselor, but in crisis and need to be seen today
- are needing a counselor to complete a form or write a letter for you
What if I'm in crisis and need to be seen today?
If this is urgent and you are worried about your safety, someone else's safety, and/or losing the ability to function, come to CATS at 351 Graveley Hall. No need to schedule an appointment! Drop-in hours are Mon-Fri 8am-4pm (7:30am-3:00pm in summer). The Single Session Program does not offer crisis counseling.
What happens at a Single Session appointment?
You will meet with a counselor for up to 45 minutes. The counselor will offer supportive suggestions and resources and you will work together to develop skills and strategies to help you address your concern. You will leave with a personalized action plan.
Are my visits confidential?
All visits at both the CATS Single Session Program and our main office in 351 Graveley Hall are confidential and are not reported on a student's university record.
What if I have used the Single Session Program in the past? Can I come back to work on a different issue?
Yes you can! The Single Session counselor will help you plan for a solution to your problem and may refer you to CATS if they believe you would benefit from ongoing counseling.
Bengal Mental Health Fund
(208) 282-2130 - Counseling Services
(208) 282-4506 - Testing Services
Graveley Hall, South Tower, Room 351
Bennion Student Union Building, 2nd Floor, Room 223
Fall/Spring: M-F 8-5
Summer: M-F 7:30-4