Counseling Study Abroad
The Mexico course provided students with a culturally rich experience by engaging in cultural, historical, and spiritual community service and mental health issues. Students learned about the political, social, and environmental diversity of the country and experienced the history, customs, and culture of the Mexican people while engaged in activities at a domestic violence and children’s shelters in Puerto Vallarta.
The Thailand course include an academic exchange with the Psychology Department at Chulalongkorn University; a tour and service at an orphanage/shelter; tour of the temples and historical sites of Chiang Mai, a visit to an all-female Buddhist monk temple; and an Elephant Park Tour and Service.
The goals and objectives for the course to Italy was to provide students with an international experience and unique personal growth adventure where the social, political, environmental, and cultural systems are tremendously different from that of the United States; stimulate students’ interest and desire to learn about the practice of Mental Health; engage students in the culture, customs, and spirituality of people in Italy by visiting cultural, archeological, and historical, meeting and conversing with local people, and participating in activities that reflect the Italian culture; and provide students an opportunity to engage in a service.
Chengdu & Beijing, China
July 6-21, 2018
Led by: Drs. David Kleist & Steven Moody
The ISU Department of Counseling is pleased to be offering a study abroad experience in China this coming summer. This cultural emersion experience offers a unique opportunity for personal and professional growth through education and service. Come experience the history and customs of the Chinese people.
- All-inclusive price (some meals not included): $3,500 – tentative, based upon final airfare ($3,200 for travel partner not receiving CEUs)
- 20 professional development contact hours or one graduate credit (additional $55 for graduate credit). Current graduate students will need to enroll in an independent study if wanting credit.
- Includes 3 hours of face-to-face ethics training
- Passport and Visa is required (can take up to 6 weeks)
- Flying in and out of Salt Lake City
- Accommodations based upon double occupancy
- Includes five day trip to Beijing and cultural tours in the area
- $500 deposit required with application
If interested, contact: Dr. Moody at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pocatello, ID 83209-8120
921 South 8th Ave., Stop 8120
Pocatello, ID 83209-8120
Mailing and Physical Address:
Meridian Health Science Center
1311 East Central Drive
Meridian, ID 83642
Dr. Judith Crews