To be eligible for the scholarship, all applicants (incoming freshmen, transfer students, and current ISU students) must satisfy the following requirements:
- Have U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status
- Major in chemistry or biochemistry at ISU at the time of application
- Demonstrate intent to eventually, upon graduation, work or pursue graduate education in the chemical or biochemical sciences (excluding allied professional schools such as pharmacy, medical and dental school).
- Demonstrate financial need and federal aid eligibility according to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Student Aid Report (SAR) forms
- Have a GPA no lower than 3.0, or demonstrate extenuating circumstances
Apply online using the Bengal Online Scholarship System (BOSS) as early as March 1 but no later than May 1st to be considered for the following school year. Students applying earlier may receive earlier notification of award.
Current scholars can apply for NSF S-STEM scholarship every year and receive scholarship for up four years.