The ISU Department of Chemistry is proud to offer multiple degree paths to better suit our student's wide ranging academic needs. Each of the following MAPs and flow charts are designed are for planning purposes only and to help simplify the class selection process and promote post-academic success in whatever field our graduates may choose. They should not be considered official dictations on how to navigate the program.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry
This is the most rigorous program for the department, designed to prepare students who are planning to go on to careers or Ph.D. programs in chemistry. It is accredited by the American Chemical Society, and encompasses a strong foundation in all the traditional divisions of chemistry: analytical, inorganic, organic, physical, and biochemistry.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry Degree Map (2017-2018)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry Flow Chart (2022)
- ISU Academic Catalogue Listing for BS in Chemistry
Bachelor of Science Degree in Biochemistry
This degree program sacrifices depth in the other disciplines for a more specific focus on theoretical and technical content specific to the interface of chemistry and molecular biology. It is designed to provide strict and thorough preparation for students pursuing employment or further education specifically in biochemistry.
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry Degree Map (2017-2018)
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry Flow Chart (2022)
- ISU Academic Catalogue Listing for BS in Biochemistry
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Chemistry
Designed to allow students greater flexibility in shaping their degree programs, the most notable difference from other paths is that it does not require the completion of calculus. This program is intended to expand the accessibility of chemistry degrees, especially for those switching to a chemistry major later in their undergraduate careers and for those whom chemistry might be only one facet of their ultimate career plans.
- Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry Degree Map (2017-2018)
- Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry Route 1 Flow Chart (2022)
- Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry Route 2 Flow Chart (2022)
- ISU Academic Catalogue Listing for BA of Chemistry
Minor in Chemistry
Whether it's to add some chemistry experience to a different major, add credits towards graduation, or just a want to explore the field without the commitment of a full degree, this program is designed to give a broad overview of the fundamentals of chemistry.